A question regarding mixing 'O' scale track...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MCF, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. MCF

    MCF Member

    I have a Lionel Black Diamond Frieght that came with Lionel's Fastrack....I assume that I can use any 'O' scale track with the set if I choose not to mix it with the Fastrack? I assume I can still use the transmformer that came with the set and TMCC equipment, etc. I want to do a big loop around my living room during the holidays and it would take about 50' of track and I understand that much Fastrack would be very expensive...what would be cheapest route...also, Fastrack is a little loud, but it does look nice...
  2. spankybird

    spankybird OTTS Founder

    HI MCF,

    Yep, you are correct. You can use any ‘0’ 3 rail track with your set. And yes the TMCC will work with it.

    For the best bang for your buck, tube track, O gauge or O27 then I would say GarGraves. After that they are all about the same price.

    Fastrack and MTH Realtrack were designed for running on the floor – carpets with it’s built in road bed. I do know many people, including Chief Eagles who use Tube track on the floor.
  3. Dave Farquhar

    Dave Farquhar Member

    The cheapest route would be O27 track. You can get wide-radius (O42 and O54; O72 has been made but I've heard complaints of a shortage of that) O27 track, and O27-profile switches are inexpensive. Spankybird's layout is O27, and I'm currently building an 8x8 layout using O27-profile track (mostly O42 curves, with a few O54 and old Marx O34 curves). Used O27 track is cheap cheap cheap, and new O27 track isn't expensive either. I think O27-profile O42 curves are priced comparably to O31, and you get a wider radius for your money.

    You can get 3-foot long O27 straights, which would be a good idea if you have long straightaways.
  4. MCF

    MCF Member

    Probably dumb....

    but my engine minimum curve is O-31, so I guess I can't use O-27...what would be the next cheapest track that I could run?? Any good websites for ordering it?
  5. Dave Farquhar

    Dave Farquhar Member

    If your engine specifies a minimum curve of O31, you can use the O-42 curves that mate with O27. Then you're over-spec, and the "O27" O-42 curves are still just as cheap as the standard O31 curves, but wider.

    There are lots of places to order online. I just ordered some stuff from www.charlesro.com and the order arrived quickly and the shipping charges were reasonable. Looking at his site, he's got O42s for $1.25 each (12 pieces make a full circle) and "O27 wide radius curves" (16 to a circle--I'm guessing they're probably O54) for $1.15 apiece. The long 35-inch straights are $2.95 each, and standard straights are 70 cents. I'm impressed with those prices.

    The page I'm looking at is here:
  6. spankybird

    spankybird OTTS Founder

    IT really depends on your engine. I have many engines that say min radius is 031 and I can run it on my 027.

    The big problem that most have is it clairing the switches or I should say switch motors. I use the K-line low profile 027 switches so this is not a problem. I have also pulled out the tender wire harness to give it extra lenght. Some engines do not have extra wire in the tender to do this. :)

    Some cars and engines, the trucks will not turn enough to allow it to go thru an 027 curve. :cry:

    The other thing you will see is a greater amount of overhang as it goes thru the corners.

    IF you are not sure, try one at your local dealer.

  7. gjxj

    gjxj New Member

    Is there a transition adaper to combine O27 with fasttrack?
  8. spankybird

    spankybird OTTS Founder

    Yep, Item nuber 6-12040

    You may have to adjust the height of the 027 track by shimming it to match the fastrack. Also you may have to check the pins to see if its O or O27.

Share This Page