A question about windows???

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
I've been working on background building for my shelf layout and it seems to be coming along pretty good!!! I am currently blackening out some of the windows to make the windows look more used and abused. My question is I would like to also lightly streak or weather the windows I haven't blackened out, so, what would you guys use to do that? I hope I'm clear about that.

Thanks,
Twilight

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I would try sifting real dust to get it as fine as possible, and then kind of blow it on or dust it on. I don't think you will find a better replacement for dust than real dirt or dust.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'd try experimenting with some very diluted white paint on a piece of window material to see how it looked when it dried. Sounds like a cool weathering project!

Ralph

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sanding the "glass" with a very fine sandpaper (e.g. 400 - 600 grit) can give the appearance of a haze. Effect can change too depending on if you put the sanded side in or out.

Experiment! And don't forget to post pictures... ;) :D

Andrew

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I use a small amount of acetone or paint thinner and a dab of raw umber oil paint. Mix it all up and apply to the inside. Plain thinner on the outside to dull the acetate. I think windows get dirtier on the inside in factories. I guess rain on the outside tend to wash them. Don't forget some exacto "cracks".
Allan:mrgreen:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A light spray of Dulcote on the inside of the "glass" will make the window look dusty. You could also apply it on the outside, but I think that most windows look more convincing if the "glass" is reflective.
2007-01-10_480.jpg

Wayne

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Doctorwayne beat me to it. I was also going to suggest using dullcoat. I've had very good luck with that. I have used it on the outside to represent glass blocks with much success.
My other method is more accidental. I frequently like to use ACC glues which will leave a white/ frosted appearance on parts of the window. Not really a good effect, at least when you're trying to show a clean window.:mrgreen:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's the opposite side of the same street pictured above:
Layoutviewsetc022.jpg

While it's not too apparent in the photo, the "glass block" around the main door was made translucent by painting the inside face with lacquer thinner, leaving the outer surface shiny and "glass-like". ;):-D

Wayne

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips on weathering the windows!:thumb: I choose the dullcote method and it worked out great. Maybe when I get this puppy done I'll post some photos here. :mrgreen:

Thanks
Mark:wave:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Here's a tip from another form of modelling that always worked quite well:

Take a little bit of dirty water - experiment for the amount of dirt you need - and place a drop on your window. Let the excess roll off, and allow the remainder to dry. You should be left with a thin, transparent layer of "grime".

You can also haze a window ever so lightly with an airbrush. your call.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I like to use the tops of most yogurt containers. Ms. Doc always has some in the fridge. The tops are usually slightly frosted, but still translucent. One side is also usually shiny and reflective as well. Add a little india ink wash and you have one dirty window.
Doc

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...I use clear acetate and buff one side with steel wool to prevent see-through. I place the buffed side to the outside to eliminate glare. And I bust a window or two for looks....:mrgreen:

HPIM0824.jpg

This is from a coal silo I built for last year's kit-build challenge.