A pair of Bf-109Gs

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Three cheers Ted! Two great 109's!

This has been a great, informative thread. Very good info for folks comparing the 2 publishers, and another great platform for showing your obvious skill (and truly SCARY build speed :-o )

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Last of the 109G duo.

Attached Files:

3. Clashster

Clashster Member

Really enjoyed the thread! Both look great! I have a tough enough time finishing one model!
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Rick, the speed isn't really that fast considering, a few hours here and there, time off to work and eat, oh yeah take the kids here and there, the honey do list and of course sleep! But it isn't anything we all haven't been thru. I took alot of advice from this forum, how to manage assemblies, and time. There was a lot of "dead air" time I'd waste waiting for stuff to dry and cutting out one or 2 pieces at a time, glue it, then go back and cut a few more pieces out. With the "Euro method", and confirmation from Carl, cutting out the entire list of parts needed for the assembly helps alot. Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't mix parts! Must of been the small baggies I put the cut out parts in.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Very Nice Build

Great build! I've enjoyed following it on a daily basis.

Thanks, -Gil
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And thanks to Clashter also, I was typing a reply to Rick when you posted, Thanks. The final score, Fit and goes to the Maly kit. Except where I molded the entire canopy and rear glazing as one piece and had to custom fit it up that way everything was perfect. The Orlik needed a trim at the cockpit rear, and the wings had to be really Chopped to get the separate aerilon to fit. also the wing root covers were a bit off and had to be redrawn. Instructions is a tie. The written instructions from Orlik were barely helpful. The diagrams were slightly clearer for the Maly kit, The Orlik seemed to have a lot of diagrams but there was alot of guessing where the un-inllustrated parts go. Ease of assembly goes to the Maly. Except for the bulkhead to bulkhead construction everthing went together logically. Very little thought was needed to figure where and how certain assemblies went together. Printing color and paper was a tie. The modern Maly paper is very similar to 110lb card stock available anywhere. The orlik paper was a tas lighter, or thinner, easier to bend. Detail went to the Orlik kit. The separate surfaces were done very well. The Cockpit was fairly detailed About like modern GPM and Modelik kits. In all fairness as Mike Kroll pointed out the original Maly kits were for beginners and intermediates. This kit was intermediate with some good detailing. The Orlik kit is more for advanced intermediates. after all this scoreing build up I'd marginally pick the Orlik, as a slightly better overall kit, because I am starting to like alot of details and am an intermediate/ advanced builder. For anyone wanting to try an easier but moderately detailed kit the Maly is the better bet.
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Excellent work!

(Gasp!) I think I see the third member of the Messerschmitt family in the background :grin:
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The 109 family tree

Here's apic of all the 109s I built up in the last few years...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Mike you're right, It is the Marek 109D I enlarged to 1/33. It was almost finished before a slight setback laid me up. I found it in a box while building this pair and almost thought I'd goof on you guys and finish that one also. Believe me fun and interesting as it was I probably won't do 2 at once for a long time.

Attached Files:

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

awesome - thanks so much for this! You did an excellent job throughout.
  11. josve

josve Active Member

Congratulations Ted!!
    I'm really exited by your work and speed!
    Two great built models in such a short time deserves RESPEKT!!
    So now I'm looking forward to your next :)
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Absolutely brilliant work, Ted!

This was a real joy to watch come together, even if I was wrong about which would be done first (I said both!), and your photographic essay was truly inspirational...Thanks for taking the time to post this thread and the many marvelous photos!

Looking forward to seeing your next project!

13. zaqx

zaqx Member

'Maly Modelarz' should be translated as 'Little Modeler'
    Gregor from poland
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you very much Ted. I learned a lot in this thread, and I put in practice two or three of your advices in my current projects, and more for the next.

Not only the photographs were of maximums quality, but also the description for the process on the construction.

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Gerardo, thankyou very much. There is a lot to be learned from everyone on this site. Any advice or help you need can be found here. We "push" each other to better building but most of all, have fun doing it.
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Gregor - I know what "Maly Modelarz" should translate into but in cases like that interpretation is much better than translation, plus "translates roughly" was the key phrase :wink: