A&P Warehouse - completed

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by FrankG, Feb 15, 2005.

1. FrankG

FrankG Member

Well...I finally finished the A&P warehouse....for now. Always more detailing once it makes it to the layout.

Anyway...kitbashed a Bar Mills sign slightly for the roof signage. Wound up putting the "Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co." sign on the building itself and using only the round A&P part on the roof. I think having the name on the building helps it look less like an advertisement.

Again...this is N scale and only the second structure I've ever built.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Very nice! I think your decision about the sign was a good one. The building looks terrific. Love the roof details!
  3. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

That cool Frank, I didn't know what A&P stood for. Are they still around. They used to be here in Ga. but I haven't seen one in a long time.
  4. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

5. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Very Very nice Frank. :thumb: :thumb:

I love what you have done rith the old place. :D
  6. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

I see you got the hanging signs done, too. Also, looking great!
  7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Nice looking building that would be a credit to any layout. Good work Frank
  8. Looks great, Frank! Very, very nice!
  9. brakie

brakie Active Member

Frank,That is one great looking building that looks like it could handle boxcars and reefers of food stuffs.. :thumb:
  10. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Too COOL!!!! Nice Work!! :D
  11. FrankG

FrankG Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

SAL Comet....A&P is a national chain...started in NYC in the late 1800s. They originally started as the "Great American Tea Co." but changed their name to "Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co." once they began using the railroads to supply goods cross-country. By 1930 they operated over 16,000 locations. They consolidated into "super" markets by (I believe) the late 50s and were down to like 6,000 stores. They still exist today, but their stores carry different names depending on what area you're in....such as "Super Fresh".
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Very, very nice!

I do think that your signs need a couple of roosting pigeons though.
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

That looks great Frank!! I didn't realize it was N-scale - you sure can't tell from the photos. I like the sign treatment too. Did you make the ones over the door yourself, or are they part of the Bar Mills kit?

14. SteamerFan

SteamerFan Member

Frank, didn't the A&P's also operate Malt shops in their stores in the 50's? I remember my parents talking about how they would head out to the A&P for a shake. Course we don't have any A&P's left here, they all were gone by the mid-late '70's.

Oh And BTW, the building really looks good, time to start weathering it ;)