A new use of Elmer's glue??

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Union Pacific, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Union Pacific

Union Pacific Member

I was paging through some stuff of my fathers and noticed an idea. It says you could use elmers white glue and put them in ditch light of headlight space and it would crete a sort of "glass" cover look if you didn't have any clear plastic. is this true or am I an idiot???:p ;)

thnx, Ben
  2. Joepomp

Joepomp Member

That sounds like I heard that some ware before. But I can't sware to it.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Try it on a scrap piece of plastic tubing... If it works, let us know :)

I seem to remember - something about wax paper & glue - maybe using the wax paper to cover the tube?? :( I can't remember :(
  4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I have found that Elmers White Glue will turn clear when completely dry
  5. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I have found that hot glue from a glue gun works good. Just a dot on a slippery surface, whatever size you want.

6. N Gauger

That's it :) You use either hot glue or elmers - You stand a plastic tube up on end, on a piece of wax paper.... you fill the tube with glue and let it dry (a day or 2 sometimes) and it dries clear....

And you have a tube that acts exactly like fibre optics. :) If you overfill it you get a bubble of glue that disperses the light like a lens :)
  7. N Gauger

If you put an LED in one end of the tube (with the wires sticking out) you can put the wires through the wax paper and actually glue the LED into the tube too :) :)

Ok - I'm done.. now my head hurts :D :D :D
  8. Dragon

Dragon Member

On my logging mallet I used epoxy (envirotex) in the brass headlight casting, after putting in a grain-of-wheat bulb. Looked ok, but being perfectly clear didn't look very prototypical.
    I ended up lightly sanding the envirotex to make it look more like an old headlight lens.