a new(to me) trick i heard about yesterday

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by NSES44DC, Apr 21, 2007.

1. NSES44DC

NSES44DC Member

At a lhs, i asked about weathering chalks and washes. HE told me that he could order me some, but that they are dusty and its not good for the engines cause after a while they tend to wear off. The odd thing he said, was to try makeup. im guessing that foundation stuff..im not well knowledged on makeup..but he said a lot of stores have the big cases full of "cheap" makeup and a lot of brushes. He said they have better earthtones and what not. I wanna try this technique, just dont wanna walk in and buy a case of make up. im thinking they will look at me funny. haha Has anyone else heard of this???
  2. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Whoa, that is something new! I'm still a beginner and I tried with chalk,the result is not bad but need something finer.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I heard about it a few years ago and my wife gave me a compact that she had dropped. I haven't done anything yet with it.
  4. viperman

viperman Active Member

Never heard it myself, but I'm not surprised. I have heard of nail polish being used as paint on model cars
  5. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Go with chalk, and dullcote over it...
  6. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I discovered a weathering method by accident one day on one of my scale vehicles. It accidentally got sucked up in the vacuum! When I finally found it and dug it out of the dirt and grime, it looked it looked a little banged up and perectly weathered! I don't think I will be trying that with any of my locomotives though!!!
  7. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

I use makeup for weathering ... I like the soft little brush that comes with it.
  8. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Make up generally has oils in it and so may not work to well on non-porous materials. And on porous materials [wood etc] it will soak in so that if you make a mistake you can't remove it.

Chalks are drier and if you mess up then you can generally remove it a lot easier.

I hope that helps you out :)
  9. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

This was the topic of today's NMRA meeting today, actualy. Our presenter, Matt Snell, said makeup was better than most forms of weathering because of not only the good selection of earthtones, but that it's also cheaper and easier to use. He brought some scrap engines and cars to let everyone practice on, and he even let me keep the engine I was messing around with! I took some pics to show you how good this method is.

For roof soot:

For dirt on trucks and other parts above:
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

CNWman - do you have any other shots of your work?

The Bragdon brand of weathering chalks have some sort of adhesive in them. The more you rub, the more they stick. I imagine that it is similar to makeup.

But you can't go wrong with a set of chalk pastels from the art supply store. Just be sure to get the chalk ones, not the oil ones... ;) While the DullCote overcoat tends to diminish the effect, the chalk is easily washed off before fixing with the DullCote so you can get the effect you want (it may take several layers).

If you go with the make-up approach, you can probably get what you need at the Dollar Store. They have lots of great things for model railroading.

If you're really shy about buying the make-up, wait until Hallowe'en - no one will think anything of it at that time...! :D

11. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Conrail #1992 is the only engine I have weathered with makeup, or just weathered at all. I plan on using these technques to improve the roof of my grain elevator, however, and so far the prgogress is good:mrgreen:.
  12. MasonJar

Thanks for those extra pics - I was hoping you'd have some with the engine in focus...! ;)

Based on the fact that your backgrounds are all in focus, I would suggest you back up a bit. If the camera has a zoom, you can then zoom in on the details. You might also look for a "macro" setting (usually represented by a flower symbol). Usually, even a macro will not let you get closer than about 8".

13. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

You are welcome! Yeah, I'm still pretty bad with zooming, but some of my pics are okay. I only cleared the three unfocused ones because they showed the weathered areas pretty good. I'd practice more, but the camera can't hold a charged battery for beans:curse:
  14. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...I use oil pastels for weathering, applied with my fingertips....Coincidentally, a couple of days ago I saw a commercial for some kind of make-up that had a lot of earth tones, and I thought that it might be worth checking out... With the pastels I use a little heavy hand since they fade a bit when I apply the Dullcote.
  15. MasonJar

Interesting! How do the oil pastels look? Are they easy to correct if you don't get the look you want?

16. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

The oil pastels work great, as they don't tend to disappear when you're doing the weathering as chalk dust does. I've never worried about getting the weathering "right", so I've never had to "correct" anything. I apply it mostly to my engines using gray & rusty colors. I then apply a light coat of Dullcote to seal everything.
  17. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

This is a very interesting question and certainly sounds feasible/logical on the surface.

I'm hoping to weather some of my freight cars in the near future, and have been asking about this at two LHS's. George's Trains sells two kinds of chalk weathering kits complete with brushes and a wide range of colours, etc. They each cost around $10-$12 so that's not too expensive. (They also sell individual colour chalks).

I think I might try getting one of these first, and then experiment on some of my older box cars. Otherwise, I could ask my wife for some of her make-up but I can already see her rolling her eyes! :rolleyes: ... So the chalk kits are probably safer. :mrgreen:

I'm still very curious to keep reading what folks suggest as I also like the idea of using common everyday items for modeling, to save money and be creative, etc.

18. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

BTW, I read (in a book published by Model Railroader) that, after brushing the chalk onto your freight cars, you should then seal the chalk by spraying the box car with a clear/gloss spray paint. This makes sense and would be easy to do.

However, the guy at the LHS said that -- with one of their weathering kits -- you did not have to spray paint the finished box car. This particular weathering chalk would not require any additional sealing (although I still, personally, like the idea of spraying the finished product with a clear spray of paint).

19. MasonJar

The Bragdon weathering powders have an adhesive in the mix - the harder you "scrub" them onto the car, the more they stick...