A new look for the KP&W

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
The Kings Port & Western Railroad hs made a change in its paint scheme for box cars as evidenced by this 50 footer recently observed at West Mill. The orange and black seem more eye catching than the former light blue with washed out orange lettering. :) The NY state outline helps convey its territory.
9-4-2007-23.jpg

You can see an example of the earlier scheme near the car float.

7-13-2007-12-1.jpg

All decals are made from Testor's clear decal paper with graphics made on Microsoft Word.
Ralph

UP SD40-2

Ralph, i REALLY LIKE the NEW paint scheme!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: though i would still keep a few of the boxcars with the original paint scheme around:winki::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Very nice:thumb:. Is the shop repainting the loco's to?

Loren

Thanks guys. No, I'm going to keep the loco scheme. One of the reasons for the box car change was that a line of KP&W cars following a blue loco looked ...well...too blue! :) The other issue was that I was never really satisfied with the way the orange letters came out on the blue cars. I will be keeping some of the old ones around though as Dean suggests to keep a sense of history.

Here some of the newer cars sit on the interchange track in Kings Port while another freight rolls on the highline.
9-4-2007-14.jpg

doctorwayne

Looks good, Ralph. :thumb::thumb: The cars sorta remind me of those of the Genesee & Wyoming, although I think that those had black ends and roofs.

Wayne

steamhead

Great job with those cars..!!! Is that decal paper available for white lettering..?? I got several steamers that need lettering....

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Great job with those cars..!!! Is that decal paper available for white lettering..?? I got several steamers that need lettering....

Testor's does have white backed decal paper for white lettering. I've used it on black hoppers and one black loco. To get white letters you have to create them on a colored background to match whatever you plan to stick the decal on. This can be a little bit of a challenge even with the black you might use for steamers. Your printer may print the black more glossy or more flat than the model and it will be noticeable. I don't know if you'll be able to manipulate the tone of your black or not. I dealt with the issue by weathering around and over the edges of the decal.

This loco was a challenge as the decal's black background was very visible against the loco body. I weathered the whole loco heavily to mask it.
5-6-2007-19.jpg

This KP&W RS unit didn't need heavy weathering becuse I was able to match the blue color on the decal background pretty well to the loco body.
7-30-2007-19-1.jpg

It helps to trim the decal paper as close to the lettering as possible. Dulcoat also tones down diferences a little but the color match really is crucial for standing up under close scrutiny.

Ralph

CNWman

CNW Fan
I like the new orange boxcars Ralph!:thumb: At least you kept the blue and orange loco's, they're really cool. To be honest, the orange on Riverside 1116 (awaiting decals any day now) was inspired by your switchers:eek:ops: hope you don't mind:eek:ops:. BTW how do you explain that really weathered ex-PRR loco now in service on the KP&W? THe keystone herald is showing up on the high short hood.

b28_82

I think someday i should introduce some Conrail locos to your layout. Or maybe something more neutral like KB&S RS-11s hehe. Nice new sheme though.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I like the new orange boxcars Ralph!:thumb: At least you kept the blue and orange loco's, they're really cool. To be honest, the orange on Riverside 1116 (awaiting decals any day now) was inspired by your switchers:eek:ops: hope you don't mind:eek:ops:. BTW how do you explain that really weathered ex-PRR loco now in service on the KP&W? THe keystone herald is showing up on the high short hood.

Well that's neat! I don't mind at all! :thumb: As for the loco with the keystone, the KP&W bought it from the Pennsy shortly before the PC merger, did a quick patch job but never bothered blotting out the herald. :)

Ralph

Triplex

As for the loco with the keystone, the KP&W bought it from the Pennsy shortly before the PC merger, did a quick patch job but never bothered blotting out the herald.
Some railroads (like Conrail), when they patch an engine, try to cover all original lettering and emblems. Most just replace or add their own lettering but don't bother trying to cover up everything until they do a full repaint. The KP&W is realistic in this.