a new cylon

Discussion in 'Card Model Kits' started by Red, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Red

Red Member

Attached Files:

2. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Hi Red,

I'm working on that process myself. I've downloaded some models from the Warehouse as well and am seeing if I can convert them into paper.

To my knowledge the process is as follows:

1. Open model in Sketchup
    2. Clean up too complex structures, remove unnecessary parts etc.
    3. Export to a .kmz4 file
    4. Open in Pepakura Designer (the latest Pep only imports from Sketchup 6)
    5. Unfold and continue to refine (move tabs, etc)
    6. Print and beta build
    7. Repeat :cry:

I've been working on a Damnation Alley Landmaster that is getting close, but not close enough. I'll be on vacation in February (Spring Festival here in Asia, Chinese New Year to us Americans) so I'm hoping to make more progress.

However, I've also read here in the forums that converting models not made specifically to be paper models is too cumbersome and time-consuming. My experience suggests this to be true although I haven't designed anything from scratch yet so can't speak authoritatively.

Hope this helps!

3. iconicus

iconicus New Member

Neat idea

If you are able to get this one going that would be cool
  4. marsmayhem

marsmayhem New Member

5. ajroemisch

ajroemisch That Guy

that plug-in is going to be indespensible! THANKS! i am a huge sketchup modeler and have spent more hours in it than i care too mention. this will help hugely.
  6. redcarl69

redcarl69 New Member

just found sketchup, from this forum, it looks great, and I totally agree about the plug in !
  7. marsmayhem

marsmayhem New Member

You're very welcome :)
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm not using that model, but I am building one over in the Sci-Fi Fantasy section of this forum.
  9. Jeffrey1773

Jeffrey1773 New Member

Sketchup is pretty cool.
  10. Haereticus

Haereticus Member

If you're more familiar with another modelling program there's another plugin that lets you export to .obj, which you should be able to import into other 3D programs. I son't know what it's called though.