A neighbor drops by for a visit

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by BARX2, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I live in a wooded area and it's not uncommon to see all sorts of wildlife when I look out the window. This afternoon I saw a snake in my driveway. I grabbed the camera and caught up with it as it entered the wooded area. It's a black snake which eats mice. They don't hurt people but they try to look scary. :) It's about six feet or two meters in length.

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

great pic!
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Are you sure that isn't a "Cotton Mouth?" I picked up a car hood one time and Copperhead dangled out of it. I don't think I ever moved that fast in my life. I think I'll use that picture on my computer. If I hear a loud shriek in the morning I'll know why.:mrgreen:
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks for your concern, but it's definitely a black rat snake. It darted up a tree after I took this picture, a characteristic of rat snakes. I did zoom in a little, but I was about four feet away from the snake when I shot the picture. Black snakes are very common in this area and eat mice, voles, etc. It's not uncommon for one to live under a house and feed on mice. One day my daughter came home from work and saw one sunning itself on the steps! I ran out when I heard her scream. I chased that one away. :)
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

OK, cool. I just saw the white around the mouth and thought maybe...??

I live in a rural area as well and your likely to see anything, especially in the Spring. After I salted down the driveway, last Winter, I had a Buck and several Doe licking the salt up where it drained into the yard. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a photo. Mu Wife is a City girl and still hasn't getten used to all of the wild life. We live less than 100ft from the Forest and I can seem to get it through to her that she's not going to kill all of the bugs. LOL
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.