A modular 180 curve

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
This spring a did a series of 4 modules that for my home layout would sneak around a table, but at modular meetings could be configured as need be. The short sides all have the same 'interface' (symmetrical along the vertical centerline)

They are all constructed basically the same way I did my first one, so it's not as detailed :eek:ops:. Here is the thought track plan for Märklin C-track

donnerpass.gif

modul2001.jpg

modul2003.jpg

Tunnelportal and retaining walls from WS
tunnelportal_rockfaces002.jpg

plaster_painted003.jpg

The signal is a kit from Oregon Rail
dp2_ground_foam004.jpg

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Yes, very nice Ulf!

I've got another question about the Marklin system...Are the outer rails electrically isolated so that you could operate 2-rail DC trains with a different powerpack? My understanding of 2.5rail AC is that it has one polarity on the middle studs and both rails have the other polarity. My question is if you could use the marklin track with DC trains...so that if you pick up some american 2-rail DC stuff...you can run it on your excellent modules? Certainly the rolling stock would be compatible!

Your stuff looks great! I'm a big fan of the coal mine...so if you don't have a passenger train already...I'd build that coal mine for all your hopper cars! (are those cars Marklin?)

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
Out of the box, the Märklin C-track does not have isolated rails, but it is easy to do:
One just cuts/removes some 'spades':
c_track_isolated.jpg

On my modules I have separated the rails so that I switch between DC and AC operation.
When I run in AC mode, the center studs is '+' and the rails are '0'
in DC mode the back rail (powered with the black wire) is '0' and
the front rail (red wire) is '+'
(here the center studs are non-powered)

Yes, the cars are Marklin. They offer the same cars, with RP25+Kadees, under the Trix brand!

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
That's cool! I thought I'd mention that since Bachmann (spectrum), Athearn, etc... would offer a greater variety of equipment...and are much cheaper than Marklin, Fleischman, Brawa, etc... That being said, I know that Marklin stuff is very nice...and lasts forever.

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
@nkp174, I know of all them nice cars :). Most DC cars can run on M-track, once one has kadees on the Marklin stuff :)

@grewsome, I use WinTrack 7.0