A modern Goose...

shaygetz

This is for the benefit of those who've never seen a Goose in the wild. It has that "busted iron gate pilot" that I chose not to model on mine. I'm pondering that "luggage rack" on top as an additional detail, not all of them had it and there were quite a few variations over the years. I love giving credit where credit is due but I have no clue as to who, when, where on the photographer.

Attachments

• 1goose.jpg
    1goose.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 199

shaygetz

Here is a smaller version with a plow pilot. Note the FOUR different wheel castings used...now that's a kitbash.

Attachments

• 2goose.jpg
    2goose.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 215

shaygetz

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
That's looking really sharp, but you need to dirty it up some! :D

Patience, Lil' Sprout, patience...since I've seen that more often than not they were built with that luggage rack, its back to the shop for the rack, window sunshield/visor, headlight (working if possible:eek: ) and---I can't beleive I didn't notice these before---grabirons. THEN it will be painted and given a delicate and subtle spritz :rolleyes: of weathering.:D

shaygetz

NOW she's ready for paint. Hyram is climbing in and Billy Joe Ray Bob is directing, as usual. The luggage rack is complete although I can't really say if that is what it was used for as the height from the railhead makes it pretty hard to load. It was built from Pola scaffolding and sheet styrene, the most difficult part being following the roof contours. Within the rack is the fuel tank(?)salvaged from a previous bash, I dunno but it's up there. In front is the headlight. Regretably, I had to leave it unlit because the prototype size does not lend itself well to today's bulbs. Finally the grabs. That was an interesting excersize in freelance theorum. Because I model the mid 70s and this represents a working Goose on a fledgling but prosperous railway, I had to take the ICC regulations into account. In short, in '68 roofwalks were banned on new equipment and grabs were limited to a certain height. By '72, all roofwalks had to be gone off of all regular service cars. Thus, my grabs only extend to what I believed was a logical and legal location, just high enough to use the roof rack.

shaygetz

It's late summer, 1978, and the shop gets the climax ready for one more holiday weekend of tourists, after which she'll rest up for 6 weeks. Then the "Autumn Leaf Specials" before Halloween and finally, mothballs 'til next spring. The OC R.R.'s Goose is showing signs of wear after having been removed from regular revenue service 2 years previous and retired to the maintenance department. Little do they know that in 2 years, she'll drop her transmission and be abandoned to weeds, graffitti and vandalism right where she sits now, the company opting to replace her with a crew-cab Chevy equiped with drop down wheels. The climax fairs a little better, being retired to museum duty, safety regulations driving her from the tourist trade, and the Ocean City Railroad will then pass into history. But that is unknown at this time, the crew has a train to run and time's a wastin'...

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 128

RailRon

Congratulations shaygetz, for this unique piece of rolling stock. Although it's not an exact scale model of an RGS goose it really captures the spirit of one!

Well done!

Ron

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Wow!!!

I'm honoured.

I've been thinking about doing the Crew-Cab Pick-up Truck with a 5th Wheel trailer as my next modern goose..

You've done a great job!

shaygetz

Thanks guys, I really am pleased how it turned out. Building it was easy, the hard but fun part was the theorum of what if, capturing the look of the original while adapting it to today's safety regulations and protocals and making it believable. When I saw that woody, any idea of putting a Chevy Suburban up front went out the window. I just loved how it updated the front end yet still reflected the shape of the original. Just hafta fight the temptation to stick a couple o' longboards up in the rack and go surfin'. And yes 88, the eight track player currently is playing 'Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" as we speak :eek: . Tingoat, Billy Joe Ray Bob and Hyram, the original engineers now unemployed because of a Chevy crew cab, wish to convince your kneecaps...er...you to reconsider your choice of motive power:p Please keep us posted on your idea, as I had originally considered a similar set-up, I'd love to see how your's comes out.

shaygetz

An update...

While I was pleased with how the project came out, certain details fell short of my goals, the chief ones being location of the drive train under the cab and the final look of the trailer.

As seen in these two pics, a new trailer has been fabricated with slatted doors for ventilation. It will be used to carry seafood to the processors in Crisfield in its refrigerated trailer, as well as 4-6 passengers from the remote crabbing villages it'll pass thru. It is now more like the RGS geese in that the entire drive is under the trailer with the cab perched on a four wheel pilot truck. I also added the snorkel exhaust stack and blanked out rear wheel wells that are very noticeable in most pics of the RGS geese. I believe it now more closely resembles what I was originally after without taking away from the first effort. This arrangement helps it to track better by forcing the cab to actually ride the pilot truck.

newgoose2.jpg

newgoose1.jpg