A modern Goose...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thought I'd take up Tingoat's idea of a modern day version of the Denver & Rio Grande Western's "Galloping Goose". For those not familiar, the D&RGW made a 3 foot gauge light service freight and passenger vehicle out of a box car and a Pierce Arrow touring car. My modern version is HOn30 using a 25' foot trailer and an older Chevy Suburban. This all is mounted on an N scale Bachmann U-boat mechanism. Here it is outside of the shop, awaiting it's Suburban body and drive train. I'm already pleased with the effect so far. The original Goose boxcar ran on two four-wheel trucks with the automobile powerplant resting on its own undercarraige. This one is following that basic design fairly closely. At just under 10' tall at the railheads, it is dwarfed by my B&O Docksider.

Attachments

• goose2.jpg
    goose2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 611

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
--Bulletin--

Message as follows---

The Ocean City and Cape Charles Railway, the narrow gauge subsidary of the Basic and Mostly Credible Railroad is currently perusing the auction marketplace for a Chevy Suburban. The management regrets any inconenience this might cause the railfan community.

:p

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Galloping Geese are one of my favorites....GREAT WORK!!! Waiting on more pics.

Just so we are historically accurate though....it was actually the Rio Grande Southern (RGS) that had the geese...but what the heck...I run 'em on the D&RGW too:D :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Still waiting for that Suburban...

The new plow is now mounted on the forward bogey. I went from a two wheel modified trailing truck to an unmodified four wheel passenger truck for trackability and balance. I'm having a hard time finding a Suburban and would be much oblidged and willing to barter one of my kitbashed vehicles with someone who would have a Busch Or Trident model of one out there. Anyhow, here's the latest pic;

Attachments

• goose3.jpg
    goose3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 508

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Excellent Modeling!!

Hi Shaygetz!

That's a very creative bit of modeling!
Well done!
Can't wait to see your progress on it!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Did you have to re-work the Bachman mechanism?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks Charlie, actually it dropped right onto the mechanism. I cut the body off above the floor boards and discarded it, then mounted the trailer to the remainder thus utilizing the same body tabs for a snap fit.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
After two weeks of searching modeler scrap boxes all over the member roster of the Gulf Coast and Western Model Railroad club, the shop foreman of the Ocean City and Cape Charles Scenic Railway has aquired a late 60s model Jeepster wagon. Upper management concured that, while lacking in the horsepower department, the overall body design was in keeping with the "Spirit of the Galloping Goose". The shop rats are now busy shoehorning a big block Chevy and heavy duty transmission under the hood while the body shop is readying its torches to modify frame and fender to their new task.

Attachments

• goose4.jpg
    goose4.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 407

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Robin. When I saw it pining away in the scrap yard, I fell in love with it. Jus' gotta resist the temptation to mount surf boards (yes, I have them in my scrap box too) on the roof when she's finished.:p

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Building this vehicle to articulate has been a fun challenge. In the picture you'll see that I've built up a pad behind the radiator into which the screw to hold the front pilot will be drilled and tapped into. The screw will go into the truck just behind the rear wheel's axle. The original coupler mounting pad has turned into a natural guide to keep the pilot tracking and level (too cool).

Where the car body meets the trailer, there is the original coupler pad from the N scale loco mechanism. This has become the perfect mounting point for a screw to join the two. You can see in the picture where I've modified the floor pan to avoid hitting the trailer when it turns. All that's left is to remove the tailgate to fit over the remaining exposed mechanism. It will mount with the forward axle directly in line with the rear wheel well of the Jeepster.

Thanks to spitfire's forum on weathering trucks, I've opened the driver's side window so the engineer, Hyram Pitchwood, can enjoy the bay breezes as he goes about his day.

Attachments

• goose5.jpg
    goose5.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 373

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Well Charlie,I had to modify the Bachmann frame after all. To get the Jeepster body to take those 9 1/2" radius turns N scalers seem to love :p , I had to file the frame like shown in the picture. The front and back are cast the same so you can see the difference. It starts at the front of the trailer and curves 'round to where the floorpan meets the frame.

Attachments

• goose6.jpg
    goose6.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 344

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
After repeatedly slamming my head in a door and switching to decaf, the articulated joint is complete. The front plow can be adjusted forward and back 3/32" by moving the truck screw accordingly. The tongue that joins the Jeepster to the trailer has a 3/16" slot in it. By loosening that screw, I can move it fore and aft as well to match the track radius conditions available.

Attachments

• goose7.jpg
    goose7.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 220

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Who's payin' for the pizza?

The B&MC R.R.'s refurbished shop facility's final phase of ballasting is in sight. Since the OC&CC Scenic Railway is a tourist based subsidiary, the shop has had one stall modified with a stretch of dual gauge track to handle any repair needs that may arise. With this new trackage available, the Goose is being backed into the shop to receive it's final details...lights, horn and paint. In a fit of euphoria as the two projects near completion, the shop foreman, Bringham Tightwad, has ordered pizza for the shop crew. Unbeknownst to the shop crew, they get to pay for it. The dual gauge track was made by gluing a stretch of C70 rail , gauged to 9mm (N gauge) down the middle of Shinohara C70 flextrack. Everyone is a modified Bachmann Plastiville people, with the pizza guy carrying hot packs made from HO luggage.

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 213

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I appreciate that vote of confidence. GATS is coming to town in September and our club is going to be involved. I'll see if they have anything like that during their show.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here's a full on side view. Finding local N scale companies unreceptive to having the equivalent of a 135 ton buldozer stretching its legs on their turf, the OC&CC RY had to come up with an alternative test bed. Juicing up the dual gauge was easy, testing a locomotive on a stretch of track slightly longer than a Coney Island hot dog was not---but it worked enough for Hyram and Billy Joe Ray Bob to celebrate at the local swill joint, giving me one more opportunity for a final prepaint pic.

Attachments

• goose8.jpg
    goose8.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 199