a model U-1A Otter

-Jim G

Oct 15, 2005
St. Paul, MN
www.enneagram-spirituality.com
Congratulations Jim! That's awesome! Have you sent other models to them in the past?
I have not worked with this museum in the past, but I have sent numerous models to other museums.

I'd really be interested in seeing how you suspend a model when you pack it for shipment.
I need to ship a float plane model to the Yukon next. I will photo the packaging when I do so.

-Jim G

Oct 15, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Big Daddy

Im really glad you mentioned who will be releasing this kit.. I really dig it..will it be available in different livery or paint scheme?

Presently the Otter model is available in two civil Canadian floatplane versions: Air Saguenay and Trans North.

In the very near future eight more liveries will be appearing:mrgreen:

I have recently been inspired to make more US ARMY versions by a former Army otter driver. Presently I am working on a model of a plane that served with the 54th Utility Airplane Company (call sign 'Big Daddy'). If anyone here has reference to the 54th - now is the time to share.

-Jim G

Oct 15, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Army Otter debut

Three US Army Otter models will be introduced at the Army Heritage Days festival in Carlisle, PA on the 15th, and 16th, of May. After that I will have the models released at ecardmodels.com

If you live in the area, I am told that this is quite the good time - I think you should plan on attending. :thumb:

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
I just read this thread and must say that you have done a fine job throughout - Great design - Great Plane - Great workmanship :thumb:

Airborne82

Jun 12, 2010
That is a great idea for a former, well done sir. Clean model too, looks good, even for a 4 hour test build. Cheers

-Jim G

Oct 15, 2005
St. Paul, MN
I have not worked with this museum in the past, but I have sent numerous models to other museums.

I need to ship a float plane model to the Yukon next. I will photo the packaging when I do so.
How long ago did I promise to show how I pack models for shipment? Finally I remembered to shoot pictures of one before I sealed the box!

I stretch rubber bands diagonally across a shipping box and I tie the model to those rubber bands:
CZP+ship1.jpg

The note instructs the recipient to cut the rubber bands to remove the model from the box.

To secure the rubber bands at the corners, I poke a hole through the box, send through the end of the rubber band and keep it there using a toothpick. Finally I tape over the toothpick so it will be secure while traveling:
CZP+ship2.jpg

I calculate the height of the rubber band supports so that the model will ´fly´ suspended in the middle of the box. I have had great luck with this method of packing.