A model railroaders workbench inventory

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Yeh, so, I’m into model railroading:
I’ve got couple rolls of unsqueezed Charmin towels, 1/2 case of industrial brown paper towels, part bag of hydrocal, 20 lbs of plaster, $500.00 worth of medical plaster gauze, 20 lbs of drywall mud, I don’t know how many #4 coffee filters, an apple box full of used and unused dryer sheets, white craft glue, yellow carpenters glue, edible school paper glue, CA, PVA, LMNOP, UHU in 3 non-toxic stick sizes, Clear Dap, PL 400, AC110, No More Nails, Gorilla Glue, Spray Glue, Tenex, Testors, Contact cement, Scenic Cement, gap filling, Gel and liquid viscosities of Crazy glue, 1 Instant glue, 1 - 5 minute glue and a part tube of 15 minute glue,

and you have...

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Sounds like a serious project about to happen. Don't ask me to do an inventory. I have stuff scattered from home to the club layout. Every once in awhile I find something under the benchwork at the club that I had forgotten about. I, like you, also have samples of every adhesive known to man. There's a bucket of oven dried dirt on the back porch.:rolleyes:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I have 1 huge pile of supplies and tools... screwdrivers, clamps, drill, pliers, glues, wood, saber saw, hack saw, paint, clamps, (you said clamps twice.. I like clamps!!) metal strips, and train parts....

It goes something like this:
Start working on something and when I need something, I start moving the pile to the other side of the bench... "Oh that's where that went"!!! (Put it where it belongs)

repeat 20 times......

Find what I'm looking for and start back on the project...

Then need something else.... go to the pile again... :D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Take inventory????? Sheesh, I got an idea where things are, but not always. I got:
  • one drawer full of different kinds of glue, from CA to epoxy to that thin plastic stuff
  • one drawer full of sheets of stuff, plastic and paper
  • one drawer full of Rit dye and weathering powders
  • one drawer full of different kinds of tape from blue masking take to scotch tape to black electrical tape and then some.
  • one drawer full of different kinds of mini-clamps
  • one drawer full of hot-melt glue and guns
  • one drawer full of shrink tubing
  • one drawer full of decals and signage
  • several drawers full of different kinds of tools
  • Stack bins for different parts such as windows, roofs, ladders and other material for structures
  • large bins for things like bundles of tree-making material, balsa wood, electrical wire and other material used on my layout
  • cabinets with small drawers for small parts like screws, nails, rail joiners, engine and car parts, tools, supplies, hardware, electronic parts and anything else I can fit into them, and a few things that shouldn't fit, but do.:rolleyes:
  • Somewhere in the room is a bucket of joint compound and a bag of plaster.
  • above the layout are shelves with bottles of ballast, rocks and sand, plus more glue and spray bottles of water, diluted ink, alcohol and diluted glue.
Does this sound like I'm organized? Heck no, I usually can't find anything, and when I do, it usually falls on the floor and I spend hours looking for it or another one to replace it...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: The spray bottles are usually jammed and I spend time getting them to work, my tools are not where they're suppose to be and.... well, you know the rest of this story....:D :D

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Seeing that I'm in the middle of a house renovation and try to start a layout my inventory is easy!

JB weld 1
CA glue 1
Testors paint set 1
Pink foam for terrain 1 1/2 sheets
Liquid nails 2 tubes
Caulking 5 tubes (for the track)
Jewelers screw driver set 1
Hobby knife set 1
Knuckle couplers 10 sets
Lights for buildings 25
Tweezers 1
Needle nose pliers 2
Box of spare parts to include unused detail parts 1
Other tools that are not just for trains and go from the shop to where ever needed are not counted.

Thats about it right now....hope to have lots more soon!

Rick

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
My wife is making me organise my section of the crawl space this year. When I was was pulling thing out I found a kit box labelled "Kadee couplings". The actual contents were a half dozen sprues of Kadee #5 draft gear boxes and a couple of dozen NMRA couplers in a large number of variations.
I also have drawers full of wheel and axle sets that were declared "too coarse" and replaced -- both N and OO gauge and a few HO. Same fo trucks.
Also little drawers full of N gauge bits -- even complete locos but in pieces.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
This is just what I use on kits, maintenance and repairs...don't even get me started on my scenery or track laying tools.:thumb:

tools.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I just cleaned out the train room yesterday, so my inventory is all stashed (that's some cleaning, huh..) under the layout...No way I'm going to do an invenyory...