A minor mystery in an old photo...

doctorwayne

I came across this old photo in a box of my Grandmother's things; it was in an envelope with a letter that seems to have nothing to do with the picture. The writing on the back of the photo is very difficult to make out, but it seems that my great-uncle Aubrey is either driving the smart looking coupe, or running the locomotive. I'll vote for running the loco, but I don't recall anyone ever talking about anybody in the family working for the railroad. Aubrey died before I was born, so I barely even knew of him. The picture itself isn't in bad shape other than being kind of curled up. Unfortunately, it looks as if the photographer moved while the shutter was open, not that hard to do with a slow shutter speed. The photo is undated and there's no mention of a location, although I'd guess somewhere in southern Ontario. Does anybody know if that "motion" can be cleaned up by a competent technician? I can't find the negative, but I thought this would make a good enlargement if it was cleaned up.

TrainBrain001_808689.jpg

Wayne

steamhead

Hi,

A good technician could probably do it, if he had a negative to work with. In this case, the story is good, but the photo is of a model!!!! (Or am I wrong??).

Gus (LC&P).

Relic

My guess too, no smoke ,no wire ,I'd also guess that coupe is a Sylvan 37 Chevy,Looks pretty convincing though wha?

ReefBlueCoupe

Looks like a model to me, but a great photo.. the lack of telephone/electric wires tipped me off too. Also, the headlight is off.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Depending on the date, and the road, the headlight might well have been off during the day.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Thanks to all. This was really just a lame attempt to use an otherwise poor photo. I liked the composition, but the camera had moved while the shutter was open. I had thought that the lack of wires or the Kadee coupler would have been the giveaway. Andrew is right about the headlight, although on my road, we don' juse no steenkin' hadlights. And Relic, you're right about the Sylvan coupe, as is Charles, on the loco's origins. Glad I didn't try to enter this in the photo contest.

Wayne

steamhead

Hi,

It's a good picture, particularly when you consider the scenic work, and the "meandering" view of the train. Apart from the lack of wires, the fence, as well as the car, are just too clean-a clear giveaway...
Good modeling, in any case.

Gus (LC&P).

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I knew it was a model...........After everyone said so.... :)
But a quick look, and you'd never know.
Great modleing and a pretty convincing picture.

Gary Pfeil

I wasn't going to mention it, but since no one else did, the thing I noticed first was the tree. Some of the other elements mentioned I think hold up ok, the fence, the car. Lack of wires I noticed but I've seen prototype photos where the wires were not noticable. I had to look closely to see if there was a Kadee coupler, there was but the fuzziness hides it prety well. While looking thru some of my phootos to find one I could reasonably enter in this months contest, the one or two possibilities are ruined by Kadees. In my experience, the toughest thing to render realistically is plant life, and with the exception of the tree, Wayne has done a great job!

Relic

I don't do steam (though I often think I should have) I am amazed that anyone could tell what that engine was , let alone the manufacturer, man I can't see the drivers never mind count 'em