A Marx 490 Roll-By

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

A Google search on "train show kansas city" turned up this page, with several KC shows listed:

I know Kalmbach tries to keep a listing of shows on trains.com but the pages that train clubs put up tend to be more complete. The train clubs are in a good position to know what's going on, since most shows feature layouts set up and operated by clubs. So when I know (or hope) there's a show going on, I just search with Google using what I know and see what comes up.

Some train shows are mostly HO and N scale with maybe a dozen or two people selling O scale stuff. Others are mostly vintage O and S scale Lionel, Flyer, Marx, and the like. I've learned in St. Louis which shows are which and what to expect but it took me a couple of years (at least). Still, nothing beats going somewhere and finding a couple of big rooms full of trains to search for treasure. Sometimes the stuff is overpriced, and sometimes you get a box full of Marx cars for $10--not $10 apiece, $10 for the whole box (that's happened to me twice).

And if the show is all HO and N and you really can't find anything in O scale (be sure to look under the tables and when someone asks what you're interested in, tell them--sometimes they have stuff in the car that they didn't feel like dragging in), you can still pick up some junker HO cars with busted couplers or broken trucks for a buck each and use them to practice your painting techniques.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I'm gonna have to start paying more attention to the interwebnets. :D
    Thanks for the tips, Dave. :)
  3. Cannonball

I knew it was fairly common. You see tons of 490's on eBay with chipped and cracked corners. I think it's because they are convinced they're airplanes instead of locomotives. :D
  4. Cannonball

Whatcha offerin' for it? :D