A Marx 490 Roll-By

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The year is 1946. The rusty old Santa Fe 490 rolls through town on a routine run.

The trusty coal car has followed the old engine for many thousands of miles over the years.

An empty hopper arrives to pick up it's next load and haul it on down the line.

A bright orange Gulf oil tanker lets everybody know that oil is plentiful and times are good.

An Erie flatbed brings in the latest models.

Bringing up the rear in it's usual spot is the old red caboose. "Just once I'd like to be in the front," he thinks.
  2. Cannonball

For those of you like me who have photobucket blocked at work.

Attached Files:

3. Cannonball

Last 3 pics

Attached Files:

4. Marxed

Marxed Member

wow, wait a minute, your auction picture made it hard to tell.. but under closer look, i see the trucks are black but there is only a single axle per truck? as in 4 wheel cars? i have yet to see a full set like that, especially with those colors! awesome find!
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Marx made a switch in couplers during their end. It was a very cheap and popular set. Are the couplers non-operating?
  6. simmonds

simmonds Member

:thumb: SCORE! I love it!
  7. Cannonball

Yeah, Dave noticed that too. They are 4-wheelers with the fake trucks painted back. Fairly rare, I guess.
  8. Cannonball

They are non operating knuckle styled couplers. Out of 60+ pieces of Marx rolling stock I found on eBay the other night, only 4 or 5 had these couplers.
  9. Cannonball

I do too but I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it.
    I lubed up the loco this morning and I can't run my throttle over 50 now. It runs like a striped ape on speed. It already took a dive off the table when I wasn't prepared for it and cracked the back corner of the cab roof. :( Fortuantely, it didn't break completely off like most do so it still intact.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I like the set but they were really a common cheap set from Marx that I think first came out in the 1960’s. The non-operating coupler and single wheel sets were a way to cut down production cost.

While I can't find the actual facts I believe these sets even out sold Lionel at the time because of the price. In fact I would dare say a lot of children would of never had a train set if it wasn’t for Marx introducing these sets.

I have the set but not with all the same cars. If you look the locomotive doesn’t use roller instead it uses flat cooper in place of the rollers.

If your interested they call these trains the (4 wheel plastic). This style first appeared in the 1950’s. Mounting cars on the Erie flatbed was common and included such things as the Red ALLSTATE Truck. However only the Tuscan color Erie rail car is considered rare.

Another scarce 4 wheel plastic is the Yellow boxcar 3280 SFRD. This goes for around $25.00, which is pretty good. If you find the complete set then expect to pay around $85 and that would include the Engine 1666, NYC Tender, Yellow Boxcar 3280 SFRD, Blue Gondola 347100 PA and the White Caboose 18326 NYC and would include track and transformer.

It appears that Marx put out a variety of oddities including a caboose that had a tender coupler, which you don’t see so often. If you ever look at some of their diesels they basically took off the steamer shell and put the diesel shell on it.

The world of Marx is cool, fun, and strange and for sure offers something for everyone when it comes to plastic and the 4 wheel plastic sets. I can’t believe a few of you have never seen these.

It is still a nice buy while I can’t confirm you have something of value in the blue flatcar I can assure you it was a common thing to see these oversized vehicles on the Erie flatcar.

PS> remember the older engines have simple motors that very often produce far more power than is needed. In addition you will find the same thing on the newer Williams engines. It makes you want to wrap them in bubble wrap prior to sending them down the track.:)

[FONT=&quot]Keep posting I enjoy your trains. I hope the above information is helpful.[/FONT]
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Hey CB have you seen this? :) they go for about $35.00. I forgot all about it. :) :) OLD AGE.

Like I said I'm old see the next post. :)

12. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I think I have it right now.

Attached Files:

13. Cannonball

Thanks, Renovo. :) I do like that maroon Erie car. Looks more like Pennsylvania Tuscon than Erie though.

One other thing on this set was that the box says, "Built Exclusively For Radio Shack," so I don't know if that makes it that much more different or not.

I'm still not sure if this is going to be the Christmas train or not. I really don't want to paint up the tanker or the flatcar. I don't have any problems doing the engine since 490's are easy to come by. Of course, the cars I'm watching on eBay right now aren't that badly priced so I may put away the tanker and flatcar and get a couple others.

I'd really like to find a set of old tin cars in good shape I could paint up. I'm watching for those as well.
  14. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Winning beater tin cars is tougher since there's at least one company offering what it calls "faux wraps" that are printed designs on plasticized paper that you wrap around beaters to make them look like new, mint-condition cars. So a lot of people buy up the junkers now and put those on them. And there are at least a couple of people on eBay who buy them up and refurb them for a living, so they get an awful lot of them (and drive the prices up on the stuff they don't win).

I have much better luck getting that kind of stuff at train shows than on eBay. MUCH less competition. But here in the midwest there aren't a lot of shows. Probably 4-5 a year in St. Louis. I don't know about the metro KC area.

As far as Marx plastic 4-wheel with knuckle couplers, they're out there. They're probably hiding until summertime, or maybe fall.
  15. Cannonball

I've noticed a lot of the tin lithos have been getting pricier.
    Depressing. :(

I wouldn't even know where to look to find out about train shows in KC or St. Joseph.
    We don't get a KC paper and St. Joeseph News Press is about a day late and a dollar short on everything they publish.

I've got 4 or 5 I'm watching on ebay now. I just hate those shipping charges.
  16. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Cannonball...I got my grandson a tinplate Marx with a plastic engine. Take a look...It's battery powered and came with the original box...Sweet...!:D

Attached Files:

17. Cannonball

And so it begins for the next generation! :thumb:
    Nice looking train! :cool:
  18. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

midwest train shows??????????????? OTTUMWA IOWA! SATURDAY MARCH 10, 2007 10AM TO 9PM, SUNDAY MARCH 11, 2007 12 NOON TO 5 PM

19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

CANNONBALL, if you ever want to get rid of that marx set let me know, i have a complete 1954 marx set with box . your cars would be a nice add on to mine.
  20. Marxed

Marxed Member

it's a common happening :D i found that some gentle gluing can repair that quite well... one of mine broke off that corner too, those things are crazy speed devils!

i don't have as many pictures of my plastic sets as i do of my tinplates, but i'll have to do a photoshoot with them sometime soon.