a lot of people talk about what is o-scale, and whats not, so here....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

here is a pic of a post war lionel 6464-425 box car made from 1956 to 1958 on the left, and the same car made by Williams on the right, not sure if you can tell the size difference in the pic, but the lionel one is smaller then the williams, the williams is 1:48 scale. the lionel is not.

the williams is around a 1/4 inch taller and wider, and around an 1/2 inch longer then the lionel.

Attached Files:

2. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

And some of Lionel's O-27 cars were smaller still, scaling closer to 1/64.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

yep, i got some lionel x6034 baby ruth boxcars , they are real short, but look ok behind my dockside switcher.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I have an old photo that has several box cars that have the same size difference in real life. If I ever find it I will post it.
  5. MarcO

MarcO Member

Are all 3-rail "O" from Atlas and Willams 1/48?
    Or should I say...is it only Lionel with scale aint always scale issue?
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I can say off hand the three Williams engines I have are not scale. In fact the boxcars I have are not scale. I do believe they may make some scale engines but I don't have my book close to check. While I have some Atlas I have no clue if they are scale or not. I'm not that current with Atlas. They fit what I was looking for and they had more detail.

Buying new Lionel appears easy to tell the difference though I have problems when it comes to the older ones. MTH is pretty easy with rail King vs Premier.

In the end I think most companies offer both what you would call scale and non scale. But this can be more complicated because the level of detail can vary among companies.

If you are looking for scale and a high level of detail then there are some crazy people over at OGR Forum that have warped a new name for it. I don't have anything against it but they are fanatics and that is what they want and like. However even they fight among their own group as to what should fit and not fit. They get into truck gaps, fixed pilots, correct detail, minimum size curves, etc.

Good luck I know there is a learning curve but those people over there should be able to spit out answers pretty fast since they are into their scale version of model trains. Some good people too even if I don't share their side of the hobby.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

my williams engine is scale, and all on my box cars are, all 40 footers tho.

MTH railking is semi scale, and full scale. depends on what cars your looking at. my railking texas SP aba engines are full scale, but the passenger cars that came with them are semi scale, the hight and width are scale but the length is short, but not by much.

and not all MTH premier is true scale, im told that the premier corrugated auto carrier cars are semi, , they are a little short as well. but the difference is small, 1 1/4 inch to short.