A little switching action

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Ralph, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Gondolas are loaded with scrap metal from shredded automobiles.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

The loaded cars are pulled out of Sal's Salvage and across the bridge spanning the canal.....

Attached Files:

3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Great pics, Ralph!
  4. Ralph

...and set out at the materials yard at Kings Port Steel. Later, during another operating session, they will be returned as empties to the salvage yard.

Attached Files:

5. interurban

interurban Active Member

Great shots Ralph, you must be tired out now :thumb:
    How did you sqwish the cars?? :p
  6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looking gooooood Ralph!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now that I have my trackwork finished I can finally get into some operations too!

7. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Great photos of a very nice layout Ralph!

8. LIRR

LIRR Member

Raplh. Is the dim/focused on one area light effect intentional? because it really adds to the drearyness of the whole urban penn central setting.
  9. Ralph

I'd love to say I created this intentionally but its the result of an inexpensive camera and ordinary ceiling lighting. :)
  10. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

hey dude great pics man. but i have to ask can we get a track plan from you? hope this doesn't sound stupid but how do you get the scraps in the cars? thanks for sharing the pics

11. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

Love those shots of heavy industries like the one showing set outs at the materials yard at Kings Port Steel. Nice work.
  12. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha Ralph, Speaking of Sal's salvage- I haven't received last months check.
  13. Ralph

I set up cars as loaded or empty prior to starting an operating session so the gons at Sal's will be already loaded for pick up. I photographed them empty above just for effect. :) I make scrap loads out of aluminum foil that I spray paint browns and reds and then shred into small pieces. I then glue the pieces to a piece of thin balsa wood cut to fit in the gondola. I just pop it in or turn the car over and remove the load as appropriate.

Oh, I'll post a track plan of the layout and a detailed one of the switching area pictured above soon...

Sal!!!! Sorry man! The check is in the mail...yeah..that's the ticket! :D
  14. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice pics, Ralph
  15. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Photo's Great Modeling Ralph :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  16. Ralph

Well, in lieu of a track plan (which I'll try to post some time) here are a couple more pics of local action. First an SD9, still with a Pennsey logo, hauls away two tank cars from Vandelay Industries.

Attached Files:

17. Ralph

Once those tankers are out of the way the crew can go back and pull out a string of empty hoppers from Kings Port Steel's materials yard. Meanwhile a passenger train zips by on the main. I need a name for this train.....something NY/PA area...any ideas?

Attached Files:

18. interurban

interurban Active Member

Nice Ralph :thumb:
    I like the SD90 :)
  19. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Ralph, how about The Bullet? :D

Or, the Flyer, the Empire State one way and the Keystone the other? The Pennsylvanian, the Broadway, the Businessman's Special.

20. LIRR

LIRR Member

How about "The harrisburg clipper: We promise nothing with break down this time, maybe"