A little something...

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Smoke, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

2. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Really nice job :thumb:. What did you use, an airbrush or weathering powder?
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Verrrryyyy nice....I had to look REAL hard to see it was a model....
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nice. Subtle, but obviously a little road weary. Very realistic!
  6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I agree.

7. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW!!! everything about this picture is NICE!!! LOVE the weathering on the BEAUTIFUL engine :thumb: :thumb: I like the backround, makes you look twice and real hard :mrgreen: And the ballast looks VERY NICE, what is it, what did you use? Also your rails look good too :thumb: :thumb:
  8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Very very nice work! I like the subtle shadings of grime.
  9. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

Chalks and oils. No airbrush used on the weathering.

The ballast is sand from a bag.

It has working ditchlights as well.

10. TruckLover

VERY well done :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. Herc Driver

Chalks and Oils? Would you elaborate on the oils? Do you mean you used a dry brush technique using oil based paint? You got some great results. Those wheel trucks look perfect, as does the dirt on the fuel tank. I've used chalks quite a bit, but haven't come close to getting my trucks looking that weathered. How did you get the fuel spill look so "wet" and fresh, and get those great looking darker oily marks on the panels?
  12. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice work, Smoke: I particularly like your second photograph. :thumb::thumb:

13. Smoke

Smoke SOU is for you!!

I use the oils with oderless mineral spirits to thin the oils. I applied three or four washes of black oils on the engine, and a couple washes of white on the engine. The oils give the grimy wet look once they dry. Chalks give the more dusty look.

I got the trucks so weathered by putting oils straight from the tube on the trucks. Once the oil was on there but not dry I cam back with chalks. the chalks stick to the oils, and create a nice effect.

The fuel tank was done with oils and powders again. Mostly white oils thinned with mineral spirits with a downward motion. the fuel spill is Floquil engine black brushed on straight from the bottle.

14. TruckLover

once again, BEAUTIFUL Picture of AMAZING work :thumb: :thumb:
  15. platypus1217

platypus1217 Member

It looks better the closer you get to it. Great job!
  16. Herc Driver

You did a really great job - I'm really envious with the results. The overall effect is really first rate. Thanks for the tips too...I've not used any oils but obviously you can get some great results using them. I'm wondering if I can get as good a result you did with my Nscale engines. Did you put the yellow reflective stips on yourself? They look cleaner than the rest of the striping.