A Little More Progress On The Poor Fork RR

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know this doesn't look like much yet, but I'm finally begining the process of laying out the yown of Glasgow Jct.

Attachments

• mvc-013f.jpg
    mvc-013f.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 482

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
....what's a yown? :D :rolleyes: :D
:p :p :p :D
It's the combination of a town, & a yawn, which pretty much sums up my work ethic, when it comes to the construction of this layout!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Great!

Always a pleasure to see your photos!
Great for inspiration! I hope this weekend I can squeeze some time in for working on my layout as well!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks guys! :)
As far as the structures go, some of these will stay, & some won't...I'm just playing around with what looks good, & what doesn't...what will fit where, & what won't.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks SD90!

Well, I've been doing a lot of thinking, & rethinking about the town of Glasgow Jct.
I think what I originally pictured in my head was a bustling town, with streets, businesses, residences...but then I had to consider...this is a region of Appalachia in the early 30's..."bustling" is not an adjective that applies here.
It occured to me that a few paved roads started to reach into the area in the 1930's, due mainly to FDR's WPA, & CCC programs. So I thought I would make a curved stretch of highway cutting across the RR here at the jct.
I'm going to call this stretch of road State Highway 88 (gotcha Ed! :D)
Along this curve in the road, there will be a couple of houses, a hardware business, a tavern, & an abandoned iron works. In addition, there will be the two main on-line RR customers, a feed & seed co. & a lumber mill.
This will be the extent of Glasgow Jct. (unless I change my mind again...:rolleyes: )

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks guys! :)
I'm still playing around with it...
The picture at the top of the thread was where I just arranged some structures in the available space...after spending some time just kinda staring at it (a lot of my modeling time is spent this way :rolleyes: ), It occured to me that the town had too much of a billiard table look to it...too flat ! This is, after all, a mountain town, on a mountain RR. Even though it is built on a flat table, it doesn't have to look like it!
So I took some scraps of foam, & some different thicknesses of cardboard, & put the structures at different elevations, getting gradually higher toward the backdrop...The road, also, will climb, as it curves into the backdrop, & disappear into the trees. (hopefully!)

Attachments

• mvc-008f.jpg
    mvc-008f.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 382

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
A real benefit of this hobby is you can make the town flat or hilly as you choose and there is always a prototype that will look like it.
Thank goodness for small town America.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Matthyro

...Thank goodness for small town America.

Thank goodness for our Canadian brothers & sisters, AND thank goodness for The Gauge! :)

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
I agree with Robin, Charlie. I have a one street town, then planted a row or trees across the street from them. I got most of the trees to big and you can't see the town so will have to change them to smaller trees.
If you don't like it, change it.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Better And Better...

Excellent idea to have the town on a hill, Charlie. Some of the back buildings were obscured in the first picture. A windy uphill road should also lead the viewer's eye through the town, I suspect. Are you going to try a little forced perspective with regard to building sizes, too?