A Little Action On The K&I

Drew1125

Well,
Shamus & his quiz on time usage, & Val's new camera, & flurry of cool pix, inspired me to get down in the basement this morning, & "spit-shine" up the ol' switching layout (which has been idle for a while now).
I got some trains running, & while I was at it, I decided to send out the resident railfan, with his trusty camera, to see what he could find...
For aour 1st shot, we see two loaded cars being delivered to the S. Rose & M. Lenore Wrecking Co. The crewman is getting ready to cut off the NM boxcar at the dock, & the gon will then be pulled back, & shoved onto another siding.

Attachments

• mvc-010f.jpg
    mvc-010f.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 106

Drew1125

Our next shot shows K&I geep #810 putting together its train on the branch...here it's pulling a loaded GVR boxcar off the siding at Maupin Mfg.

Attachments

• mvc-009f.jpg
    mvc-009f.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 101

Drew1125

Here's the K&I wreck train pulling out of the scrap yard, after unloading some heavy scrap

Attachments

• mvc-007f.jpg
    mvc-007f.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 102

Drew1125

Here's the scrap yard's little hustler, shoving an old yard goat up under the overhead crane for some salvage work...

Attachments

• mvc-006f.jpg
    mvc-006f.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 98

Drew1125

Here's a K&I SW9 pulling a string of empties northbound up the branch...

Attachments

• mvc-005f.jpg
    mvc-005f.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 96

Drew1125

And last, we see the big geep, pushing a loaded covered hopper into the Leigh Foods plant....proabaly a load of cornmeal, or flour.

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 96

shamus

Registered Member
Really nice photo's Charlie, you have a very good eye for details using the camera. Great work.
Shamus
wink.gif

Drew1125

Thanks Shamus!
(and thanks for that little "kick in the a**"! ;) )
Tyson,
Thanks for the kind words...& for that great little prange boxcar! :cool:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Great pictures Charlie!
I really like that overhead crane and the Leigh Foods plant.
Ralph

Drew1125

Sorry, t!
But the N scale steamers I've picked up over the years aren't much good for anything...'cept shovin' 'em outta the way!:( :rolleyes: :(

marty w.

Excellent pic's you got there Charlie.
I really like the last one. The Leigh Foode plant looks massive.
Great work.
Marty

I love these photos, Charlie! Your scenes remind me of Kansas City's West Bottoms industrial district (one of Tony Koester's favorite places to railfan).

Very nice work! :cool: :cool: :)

Drew1125

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!
Marty,
Glad you liked the food plant...(it's named for one of my daughters who is studying to be a chef)
It's really not that big...it's one of those cases of function over form...I had to build it to fit the space, hide where the tracks butt up to the backdrop, & hide where the trains enter& exut the layout from staging.
I used pieces of Walthers Superior Paper, & New River coal mine to piece it together...plus a lot of odds & ends on the roof.
I also cut a hole, & built the large loading dock recessed inside the building, to allow space for the 2nd spur.
I loke having more than one siding, if possible, for my industries...it makes operation a lot more fun.

Attachments

• mvc-011f.jpg
    mvc-011f.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 56

Drew1125

Hey, t. alexander!

Here's another one to bring tears to your eyes...
I bought this box of junk from a guy at a swap meet, & these were in there...basically, everything in the box got a coat of "rust", & went into my circa 1960 scrap yard.

Attachments

• mvc-013f.jpg
    mvc-013f.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 50

spitfire

Wow Charlie those are excellent! Now that I'm snapping pix myself I have a new-found respect for the excellent photography and modelling you do. It's great to have such inspiring work as yours - something to aspire to someday! Keep up the awesome work!!!

Cheers
:D Val

You have a great little layout there Charlie!:eek:
It was last Friday I went through all your posts to find the size of it (yes, I'm a dummy! ... I should have gone directly to your website for that info! :) )
I was interested in a switching layout and knew yours was a helluva nice one. Well done!

The pics you posted in here are super! I'm sure they will inspire others who have limited space to "Go-ahead-and-tackle" :D :D .

Now the other side of the story .... YOU TRAITOR!!!:D :D ... Breaking up steamers??????? shame on you ... :D :D

Errol

Drew1125

Thanks Val!
I was a little humbled by your praise...I think I could probably learn a trick or two from you! Those stuctures you've built are some real jewels!
Errol,
Thank you too, old friend!
Aaaaannnd...ok, ok, I know I'm the lowest form of life for featuring those chopped up steamers, rusting away in that "graveyard", but hey, this is the 1960's here in K&I country, & a steam engine hasn't been in revenue service here for 8 or 10 years!:D ;) :(
But if it helps...there won't be a diesel in sight on my newest little layout! :)