A Lionel Question For Greg Elems!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

After seeing the remarkable job you did with the wheels on your scratchbuilt caboose, I have a question for you. I guess this actually pertains to anyone else, too.

As you can see in the picture below, I have a Lionel 4-axle crane and a cheapie flatcar. The crane is neat, but is more suited to being a display model, as it is quite heavy, and tends to yank trailing cars off the track.

I'd like to bash the flatcar into a crane boom car (?), and replace the wheelsets on both cars. Is this possible? Do you have reccommendations as to what types of trucks, couplers and wheelsets to use?

Attached Files:

2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I take it you want to convert it to 2 rail. What I would do is replace the wheels first. The Inter Mountain wheels should work, just a trade out in the Lionel trucks. That being said, I put some Inter Mountain wheels in an Athearn set of trucks and then put the plastic scale wheels into a set of MTH trucks. The IM wheels are part # IRC20050. Once that is accomplished, check the car for height with a Kadee coupler gauge. You will probably have to glue a shim underneath to get a pad at the right height for mounting Kadee couplers. If you want to leave the Lionel truck coupler assemble alone and trade trucks there are several routes to go. Athearn trucks have a scale bolster so you will have to add a bolster to the cars to keep them from rubbing on the floor. A shim will still be needed for the Kadee couplers. K-Line makes a metal truck with scale 2 rail wheels. It has an odd bolster but would require less work on the Lionel car, but a screw will have to go through the top of the car into the truck. Lionel does that anyway so no biggy. I hope this is what you were looking for, info that is. Sounds like a neat project, keep us posted.