A layout tour

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
(In case you think you are seeing things, I did post a similar message at the other forum in reply to a post about this layout. Please don't hold it against me ;))

Mike Hamer, who is about the nicest guy you'd ever meet, gave me a tour of his layout yesterday, and it very impressive!

Here are a few links with pictures.

http://www.ovar.ca/Mike Hamer/Hamer.htm
http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/layout/mh/mh.htm

It is a twice around style, and Mike has used the second loop as staging, so you don't have the problem of going through the same scene twice. There is also a cut-off, so you can "short cut" the loop that would take you through staging, and come right back into the scene instead.

The main activity is centred around the yard in North Dover, and there is plenty of action to keep you occupied. If you'd rather just watch the trains go around, you can do that too. It is hard to believe that you can run 40 car trains on a small layout, but they do not look out of place. It's incredible.

Andrew

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Great layout. Really good track plan on the first link. Some very interesting scenes. Would like to sit by that river on a hot day with a beer and a fishing line.

By the way, from the second link I got something trying to load from the Gator corporation and it wanted to run something called 'trickler'. I said no to it when my firewall asked about it. Any idea what it might be?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by bpate
By the way, from the second link I got something trying to load from the Gator corporation and it wanted to run something called 'trickler'. I said no to it when my firewall asked about it. Any idea what it might be?

I have no idea, but the home page for the St Lawrence Division (NMRA Club) apologizes in advance for the numerous pop-ups that come as a result of their site being hosted for free...

Sorry about that. Should have given you a heads-up.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by interurben
Thanks Andrew , from all those who don`t get on the "other" forum:D
Will we see them at Railfair?? I am sure they where there last year with a model:)

Hi Chris,

Yes, the St Lawrence Division (second link) will be at RailFair, and I hope that I will be helping out with the switching module. I am not sure what OVAR will do, but the HOTrak people will have the usual set up.

See you there...!

Andrew