A late introduction...

teslin

Hmmm, I thought I had already done this soon after I registered for this forum, but Zathros was kind enough to remind me that I had not. I've been lurking in the background providing some white noise by occasionally adding a reply to a thread now and then. I'm interested in flight and the first paper model I got, which was a birthday present was a model of a Curtiss P40 Warhawk. I had no idea at the time that a flat sheet of paper could make what I thought at the time was such a complicated object. I've since found out that paper modeling is neither a fad nor a new art form and actually can get complicated. The P40 was a hand drawn offset printed piece that I believe was imported from the UK, the author, I can't remember the name of. That was in 1997 and I still have that model although it's very shelf worn (we heat with wood and the sun has bleached one side so that camouflage brown and green is now a odd color and green.) I suppose I may one day put a coat of paint on it and a set of decals and call it "rebuilt" but it probably will not have the panel lines on it that it now has. I've built several models since that P40 but have no pictures of them since they aren't what I would call "models of distinction". A lot of those models are the Canon corp. free models. Most of them are built to improve my free hand cutting and gluing skills. I've seen what the Masters of Our Craft have been able to produce and I may one day soon actually take pictures of some of the projects that cross the building desk in the future. At this writing, the most active project on the building desk is a form of kit bash of a Sopwith Tri-wing and Clerget engine from Lief Ohlsson. By the experience of building and knowing how much time and effort the finished product takes me, I'm always amazed at what others do.
Alan

inky

Better late than never I always say. Great to have you here. Are you a Ham radio operator, I only hear them use the term, "white noise". Look forward to seeing some pictures of your builds. As you probably know, we lovvvveeee pictures here.

Welcome teslin. You're way ahead of me. Take some pix and let us see, even that P40. Almost wonder if it was a Rigby model. Keep goin' and keep improving those skills. Yeah, there are masters here (Seen any of Uhu's work? Not only building, but designing.) Zathros and inky, both design and buld as well.

INKY!!!! Long time, no hear. You doin' OK? Last time I heard from you, things didn't seem so good. Hope things are better. Glad to see you back! Are you a Ham? KA6USJ here. Long time license, never been on the air. That may change soon.

teslin

That term of "white noise" I've used for years, to be honest I don't know for sure where it came from. True, I have been around radio users most of my life, my parents were CB'ers when that form of communication used to require a license to use and Dad used to build all sorts of electronic stuff back in the day. I've got some friends now who want me to get Ham license, I made the mistake once of attempting to sit for one of the tests before I was ready, found out I had too many irons in the fire as it were, embarrassed myself over not recognizing a simple yagi antenna and some of the questions concerning it's type.
I'll do my best to put some photos up sometime.

inky

Teslin, all it takes is a little studying and you can get your ham license. If you don't have the book to study you can study on line at http://www.eham.net/exams/ . Now don't get scared, just because it says there are 394 questions doesn't mean there are that many on the test.

Best of luck, Inky (KD5YUQ)

Z

Zathros

Oh how I hate being the heavy!! Hey, want a really, and I mean REALLY nice Tigermoth model, for FREE! Check out this site: http://gahm.deds.nl/index.htm#, there are planes at this site that are commercial quality, actually, all of them, there is a little bit of everything, and like I said, thanks to the site owner, Gerard, for his wonderful collection. Some idiot started selling one of his models, so he shut his site down for a while. So get them ALL. I don't blame him for shutting his site down. I say get them all because models do have a way of disappearing from the web. :)

teslin

Eric-I've heard of Rigby, I don't think I've ever built anything by him. But you got me thinking just who did design that p40, then it dawned on me, I keep so many reference materials to get creative ideas from I thought maybe. Normal people throw things out right after they're done with them, I'm a "slight" packrat when it comes to keeping things I "might" need one day. In one of my "Careers" I was trained in the Advertising Arts and one of my instructors said "Magazines, take several subscriptions and study, keep and use those ideas you glean from what you save". Computers turned that idea on it's ear, I used to have 8 filing cabinets full of "idea" material,now I've got 4 and only one is really used for it's intended original purpose. Computers are like a warehouse for storing visual stuff you "might" use one day. So with that being said you got me to thinking "did I keep that set of instructions for reference material"? Sure enough in the Reference-instructions sets folder, I found the "Curtiss P-40 TOMAHAWK, its a 2 sheet instruction pak. The model was designed by Andrzej Krasnicki and production by Louis Dausse, the copyright is 1990 from Paper Models International. I scribbled a start and stop it appears it may have taken me around 18mos on/off to build that model and it wasn't that complicated. Have you or anyone else heard or seen anymore models from these individuals or the company?
The question of pictures, the finished models or wips, do I introduce them in this thread or make a new one for each model?
Inky-On the subject of Ham radio, I may, a bit later try again for a license. I'll keep that link for study. A license should open up a whole new vista of knowledge and doors of opportunity, or at least I'd like to think so.
Thanks

teslin

Zathros, thanks I'll check out the link! Really, thanks for the reminder, I try not to be one of those "problem children" but I occasionally will need a reminder for things forgotten.

Z

Zathros

If you are ever looking for a type of model, Search for forum using the forum's own search engine, or just ask, people here have accumulated links to man sites. Actually, now is a good time to ask those kind of questions. :)

silveroxide

Late entry for me, welcome aboard. I remember using side band radios a long time ago before the military got modernized. Cutting the antenna to the freq and sending code. I was informed by one of my friends, that they do not teach code anymore, it was an eliminator for non qualified guys from joining the teams. It is a shame, code will get through even if you try to jam it. Other than reminiscence check what we have, pick a genre and start posting photos of your builds.

teslin

Silveroxide-SSB was the cats pj's back in the day, I don't know what's hot now. Too much garbage and no etiquette on the air waves last time I listened in, on CB. On the Ham side I was disappointed that the code had been dropped too, when I was little my dad had a set of 45's that taught code. He'd listen to them and then he'd teach me and we'd message back and forth. That was before 1st grade, I'd be hard pressed to recognize any of that now. Still got the records but no player or I'd go through memory lane with them sometime. As for code the thing that struck me was in it's time it's like texting now, texting gets through where voice will not, course it's built upon the same technology but I find curious anyway. Thanks for the welcome!

Z

Zathros

Silveroxide-SSB was the cats pj's back in the day, I don't know what's hot now. Too much garbage and no etiquette on the air waves last time I listened in, on CB. On the Ham side I was disappointed that the code had been dropped too, when I was little my dad had a set of 45's that taught code. He'd listen to them and then he'd teach me and we'd message back and forth. That was before 1st grade, I'd be hard pressed to recognize any of that now. Still got the records but no player or I'd go through memory lane with them sometime. As for code the thing that struck me was in it's time it's like texting now, texting gets through where voice will not, course it's built upon the same technology but I find curious anyway. Thanks for the welcome!

When I was young. We would build towers mounted on peaks and each one was visible to the next. If something happened, you would light a fire and then the next guy would light his fire, and the same thing would happen all the way down the line. We stopped the last invasion of Taras Minas that way, we new up on to Rohan within around 45 minutes of the first flame that the Moordor was coming...........................wait, the was "Lord of the Rings', sorry! :p:twisted:

teslin

Zathros, Ah, those were the days, the smell of burning torches and carrying pitch forks. Occasionally we'd have to storm Franky's castle and do away with the guy with bolts in his neck and afterwards we had to walk to school in deep snow (there wasn't any global warming in those days after all! ) ALL up hill coming and going and oh yeah, and if we wanted milk it was still warm from the cow... LOL!!

teslin

Pictures

For those that are curious, other than an origami model or folded paper airplane here are a few pictures of the first paper kit I was able to wrangle together. It was finished 30 Dec 1996. It's a bit sun bleached and I didn't use any fixative on the printed finish cause I didn't think I'd be keeping for more than a few weeks, then again before this one I didn't think this media would be all that fascinating. Boy was I wrong, as you well know, there are so many subjects, some quite detailed (A BIG thank you to all the designers in this facet of modeling), that I seriously don't think this hobby would ever get boring even for a lifetime. Now to see if I have figured out how to attach an image everybody can see.

Attachments

• Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_001.jpg
    Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_001.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_002.jpg
    Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_002.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_003.jpg
    Curtis_P40C_tomahawk_003.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3

inky

Let me get this right, you did that bird back in 1996??????? WOW it still looks good for being that old. Can't wait to see some of your recent stuff.

Z

Zathros

Let me get this right, you did that bird back in 1996??????? WOW it still looks good for being that old. Can't wait to see some of your recent stuff.

I thought the same thing. I have a paper model I made 30 years ago though, so they do last. A part of the seat fell out of the rowboat model I scratch built. It was a Balsa wood side seat. I know the piece is around here.

We should have an ancient models thread! That would be fun. :)

teslin

That's part of the fascination of this model media, is how long it can last. Other than dusting occasionally and fretting over the sun bleaching not much happens to it. If I took better pictures you could probably see the wear marks along the fuse from where I used to hold it while making the classic "PHTTTTT" for a motor noise while "flying" it around the room. LOL! But as a "mature" adult "pilot" the plane now spends most of it's time on the "shelf" runway waiting for the next "mission".
Ancient models thread...that would be interesting to see some of the surviving paper models. I wonder if there are any that would be along the same lines as the ship construction demonstration models of the 17-1800s but just of the different subjects that can be made of paper?