A Halinski orgy, or, I've gotten in over my head!

alfadoc

Jan 3, 2006
Just got a package from Santa! And Santa is trying to drive me insane! I haven't even finished the Zero or started the Mustang( with separate control surfaces!), and now I've got five of Mr. Halinski's finest sitting here staring at me. From what I understand the Dauntless has 1500 parts, so if I took one minute to cut out each part, it would still take 24 hours just to cut out the parts! But, I guess its best not to think of such things, otherwise I'd never start ANY model. To paraphrase a Chinese proverb, "A model of a thousand pieces begins with a single cut."

Anyhoo, the reviews:

SBD-3 Dauntless

IMG_0266.JPG

Lordy, I'm going to have to get one of those Japanese hole cutters everyone is raving about. The airbrakes on this have literally HUNDREDS of holes to cut out, and I'm NOT doing it with a X-acto knife.
A typically beautiful model from Halinski, nice subtle weathering, incredibly detailed cockpit, panel lines, rivets, etc.

IMG_0272.JPG

One oddity: this page is printed on paper similar to typing paper, while the rest are on cardstock.

Republic P-47 D-25 Thunderbolt

IMG_0265.JPG

I'll let rlwhitt's excellent 1:20(!) build speak as to the quality of this one.

Macchi C.202 Folgore

IMG_0267.JPG

Love the camouflage color scheme on this one. One thing, there don't seem to be patterns for the tubes in the wheel wells (M, N, O). Am I missing something?

North American P-51-D Mustang, Petie 2nd

IMG_0268.JPG

Nice artwork, no weathering, but beautifully printed in silver.

IMG_0270.JPG

Messerschmitt Bf 110 G2

IMG_0264.JPG

Another beauty. That hornet on the nose is going to look fabulous. Nice weathering, good colors,separate control surfaces.

IMG_0274.JPG

I'll probably start this one first, as I haven't ordered the hole cutter for the Dauntless yet. Anyone interested in a build thread?

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
That's a mighty fine collection! Look forward to seeing some done!

And you are right about the holes on the airbrakes. If I had to cut those by hand, I'd go ahead an reserver the padded "workroom" ahead of time... :)

Rick