A Great Scoring Tool!

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Fishcarver, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

I "liberated" a "seam ripper" from my wife's sewing basket. This is made of chromed (or stainless) steel and has a blunt, knife-like edge as shown below. This allows for precise scoring of card, without tearing it. Plus, it has a little ball-like appendage, useful for burnishing small parts.

These puppies come in a couple of sizes, and they are cheap: you can find them in "dollar stores" for about a buck.........

Attached Files:

2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

As you can see, they do a pretty good job!

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I am going to have to get me one of those.
    My wife has one but she would not be happy if I took it.:cry:
    I'll have to get my own.:wink:
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have been thinking about trying one of them. Like you said, they are cheap and available.:-D
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You know.............. first time I ever saw one in Momma's sewing bag I knew there was a good reason for that thing! Besides ripping out seams.

Oh............ that was many, many years ago. Elephants never forget.:grin:

6. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Try it: it works!
    Da Fish
  7. They certainly work... I've been using them for years... Highly recommended!

8. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Its funny, now that I think about it, but my wife dug up one from her sewing stuff after I sliced an upper wing from a lower wing by using the back of a dull Exacto blade!!

I evidently had decided everybody else had a wife as helpful as mine, so I never bothered to tell anyone else about it!!

9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

And here i'd been using the back of a dull Exacto blade...

Great tip! Works like a charm. And the look on my wife's face when I bought it was priceless...
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I got one and while using it ... it broke.
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Look for a stronger one!
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

But my eye... my god my eye!!! :(
  13. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Then, a) wear safety glasses,
    b) don't press so hard, and

" But, Sarn't Major, there's no F in "Glasses" "

"Then BUY some Effing Glasses, lad!!"

14. I use these as scratch awls in some other modeling that I do. I tried the dollar store variety and 1) their points are very inconsistent, some being downright dull and bent and 2) the metal is VERY soft. I believe the brand is Dritz that's available for about $2.50 at most fabric stores and they're far superior.

Cheers --- Larry
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Actually I was looking at an awl last week at the dollar store but it was square at the end. I think what I may do is get a mechanical drafting pencil and a large needle and use the needle like a graphite point.

I will dull the point of the needle considerably as well.
  16. I use awls in my full-size work but for small stuff the seam rippers work great. They come in two sizes (most I've seen in the dollar stores are the large size). I happened to be out tonight and stopped to check on the ones at the fabric stores. They cost $1.50 and $2.00 respectively, come with a nice cap and work great.

Cheers --- Larry
  17. refitz

refitz New Member

card stock scorer

try using a small metal knitting needel.don't know if a plastic one would work
  18. xyberz

xyberz Member

Don't buy them at the dollar store! They're even cheaper at Walmart and they even come with a pair of small scissors, thread, and a needle for $0.88!

Even if it breaks, it'd damn cheap to replace. =)
  19. miseryguts

miseryguts New Member

I bought a set of 5 embossing/stylus tools from local shop for £1.99, the smallest tool has been really good.
  20. cptorres111071

cptorres111071 New Member

Ok I'm finding good ideas for card modeling all over !!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.