www.davidbedard.com
mdc280%20a.jpg

mdc280%20b.jpg

Cheers

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Ya, the only way to use flash is to have multiple strobes, diffusion and reflection, and unfortunately, most slaves you may have left over from 35 mm days will likely fire too early with digital :( Exposure with flash is always a guess, even with a "dedicated" or on camera strobe :(

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Actually, I've seen much worse photos than that! The worst part about using a flash is the shadows it casts against the backdrop, and the way it washes out the colour. However, when you're in a low-lighting situation, like many train shows, and even club layouts, sometimes it's the only option.

Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
On the second photo, the top half is overexposed, indicating it's too long, resulting in the washeed out white ares. But the bottom is underexposed resulting in blackened lows and lost detail. The cause is not improper exposure, it's uneven lighting, resulting in too much contrast. It's not a bad photo by anymeans, you did the best you could under the conditions. If it were a 1:1 photo, you don't have much control over the conditions. So what can be done? You can try to compensate electronically with some photo software. In 1:1, if you had a 2nd chance, you could return on a cloudy day. On a model, you could provide some auxiliary lighting. I've been using 4 150 watt (I think) halogen work lamps with reasonable results. You can also try to reflect light with a white card, which works pretty well with a digital camera, but takes some real experimnetation with film, unless you have a spot meter.

Whakinacamera?