A good book.

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
I would like to pick up a book this week to help me learn more about MRR ,I am very green and have a lot to learn .

So what does everyone suggest ?

What book helped you the most?

I am working in H.O. scale .

Thanks
Tim

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tim,

There are gobs of books, some on specific subjects like scenery, some on specific layouts and some just on wiring. Most books have lots of tips to help point you in the right direction to getting started. There's not one that I can recommend that will take you from start to finish and make you a good model railroader. What I would recommend though is that you visit the NMRA site and click on "Beginner's page project". There's lots of good basic information there.

Kalmbach Books publish a myrad of how-to books. The one that I like and frequently use as a reference is How to build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery. Lots of worthwhile tips and forumulas in it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Tim,

If your local train shop has back issues of MR or RMC, I would suggest picking up a year's worth. MR especially runs "how to build this layout" every year from Jan - March or April. This would cover the same ground as a general intro book. However, it would probably cost you about $3 - $6 for an entire year of back issues, versus $20+ for a book.

For books, see what your local library or used book store has as a way to ease into the vast selection available from Kalmbach and others...

Andrew