A 'flat cone' in English ?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Gerard1938, Apr 29, 2009.

  1. Gerard1938

    Gerard1938 New Member

    Hi folks,

    You all know the fuselage-sections of a plane and probably also how to construct such a cone on a piece of paper.
    In Dutch it's called a 'uitslag', a mathematical expression, so in case of a cone it's called an 'uitslag' of a cone. But of course it does not have to be cone at all. You also can make an 'uitslag' from a box, resulting in 6 squares/rectangles. How do you call an 'uitslag' in English ?
    Even Wikipedia does not give an answer.

    Sticky greetings from Holland,

    Gerard :confused:

  2. cmags

    cmags Guest

    Are you talking about the 2-D unfolded representation of a 3-D object? Maybe the word you're looking for is "projection"? Such as with world maps, the globe, a sphere, is represented on a 2-D surface using something like a Mercator projection. Though projections seem to be distorted perspectives of the object in question.

    Maybe you're just looking for "unfolded surfaces". We usually talk about taking a 3-D model and using the software Pepakura to "unfold" it into separate parts.
  3. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    The pattern of six squares/rectangles for the box would be called a net. If you search for polyhedra nets you will find a lot of information.
    Here is a site with lots of nets of lots of polyhedra:
    Paper Models of Polyhedra
  4. Gerard1938

    Gerard1938 New Member

    Thanks for your reactions. The solution came from www.wetenschapsforum.nl :

    English = the development
    French = le développement
    German= die Abwicklung

    I'll carry on with the translation of my site.
    Kind (tiny :)) greetings,
  5. Makailee

    Makailee Guest


    That's 2 clever by half and 2x2 clever 4 me. Tanhks!
  6. Gerard1938

    Gerard1938 New Member

    That's a very original reply and even more exclusive than a clover 4 to me.

Share This Page