1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

A 'flat cone' in English ?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Gerard1938, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Gerard1938

Gerard1938 New Member

Hi folks,

You all know the fuselage-sections of a plane and probably also how to construct such a cone on a piece of paper.
    In Dutch it's called a 'uitslag', a mathematical expression, so in case of a cone it's called an 'uitslag' of a cone. But of course it does not have to be cone at all. You also can make an 'uitslag' from a box, resulting in 6 squares/rectangles. How do you call an 'uitslag' in English ?
    Even Wikipedia does not give an answer.

Sticky greetings from Holland,

Gerard :confused:

http://home.deds.nl/~gahm/index.htm
  2. cmags

cmags Guest

Are you talking about the 2-D unfolded representation of a 3-D object? Maybe the word you're looking for is "projection"? Such as with world maps, the globe, a sphere, is represented on a 2-D surface using something like a Mercator projection. Though projections seem to be distorted perspectives of the object in question.

Maybe you're just looking for "unfolded surfaces". We usually talk about taking a 3-D model and using the software Pepakura to "unfold" it into separate parts.
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The pattern of six squares/rectangles for the box would be called a net. If you search for polyhedra nets you will find a lot of information.
    Here is a site with lots of nets of lots of polyhedra:
    Paper Models of Polyhedra
    :)
  4. Gerard1938

Gerard1938 New Member

Thanks for your reactions. The solution came from www.wetenschapsforum.nl :

English = the development
    French = le développement
    German= die Abwicklung

I'll carry on with the translation of my site.
    Kind (tiny :)) greetings,
    Gerard
  5. Makailee

Makailee Guest

mqfSLgyTiP

That's 2 clever by half and 2x2 clever 4 me. Tanhks!
  6. Gerard1938

Gerard1938 New Member

That's a very original reply and even more exclusive than a clover 4 to me.
    Thx.