A fishing line waterfall

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Ralph, May 10, 2003.

1. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

This waterfall is at the end of a canal in an industrial scene on my layout. Following a technique I remembered seeing in an issue of Model Railroader, I cut a piece of thin plexiglass to fit the waterfall area and wrapped transparent fishing line tightly around it, cementing the ends of the line to the back of the glass. I then glued the wrapped plexiglass in place, put cotton ball fiber at the bottom to represent churning water, and then applied several coats of acrylic gloss medium, letting it flow down the vertical falls.

The canal was made from a masonite base coated with joint compound and stipled wtih a damp sponge when wet to create ripples and waves. I colored the "water" with Woodland Scenes Stone Gray pigment unduluted right out of the bottle. Gloss medium added the sheen here as well.

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That looks great Ralph!
    I remember that MR article too...
    I'm pbobably going to try something like this too, since I have a couple of places on the layout for waterfalls.
    Thanks for sharing! :cool:
  3. Duckman

Duckman Member

Hi Ralph, Great work, I, ve always wanted a waterfalls on my layout. I,ll try it .Thanks for the info. Duckman..;) ;) ;)
  4. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Great waterfall Ralph!, I also remember the MR article and it is good to see another of these ideas and tips put to good use. :)
    I forgot all about it and now that you have shown it on your layout, I now have another scenery idea for my oNeTrak bridge module ;)

5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Wow!!!! Great idea, I'm sure it take a lot of patience, but the effort is worth it. I like your track weathering as well.:)

D:cool: N
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Looks very good indeed Ralph, great work