a few questions about homabed

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
I'm considering using homabed on my layout that I'm working on. I am handlaying the track, so I want something sturdy to hold the spikes. I am also trying something else new, using pink foam as my surface(small shelf layout in HO). Anyone have any recommendations on how to lay the homabed down on the foam?
I'm sure I have to use an adhesive, but what works? Is tacky glue, ok?

Twilight:)

F

Fred_M

Tacky glue will also work. Just do not try to glue foam to foam with tacky glue. It will never dry. I use elmers white glue which I buy in August at walmart when it's 5/$1 for 4 oz bottles. FRED:)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Homabed is roadbed cut from Homasote which is a paper product. Its made from ground up newspapers and lottery tickets:D

Most any white glue or carpenter's glue will glue it down just fine, even to styrofoam. Be sure to put some weight on it while it drys to ensure a good bond.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
On my previous layout, I used the Homasote roadbed on the benchwork and added foam scenery separately. I glued some of it to the Homaste with some sort of glue -- possibly scenic paste. Most of it just sat there and had joints concealed with the usual scenery stuff.

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
Are there any other brand names for homasote. Nobody at the lumber yards around here seem to have ever heard of it, or know what it is. Maybe I aught to try someplace else besides Home Depot. lol!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use the green conmtact cement from Lepages. Someone else may make it, too. Check carefully, as the other contact cement will eat the foam.
Use your search engine for Homasote. There is a website and they should have a list of dealers.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
capt_turk said:
Are there any other brand names for homasote. Nobody at the lumber yards around here seem to have ever heard of it, or know what it is. Maybe I aught to try someplace else besides Home Depot. lol!
Try http://www.homasote.com/home.html to locate a dealer. You might call ahead before going - some are dealers but don't always have it in stock. Also prices vary. I drove 90mi one way to by mine because it was $10/ sheet cheaper (I was buying 10 sheets).