A few new pics from Midland country

Tyson Rayles

This first picture uses an idea I borrowed (o.k. I stoled it) from Charlie. I needed a true Southern farm house and nobody makes a kit for one. All the farm houses have a northern (steep for shedding snow)roof. Additions built on the side (if our farm houses had additions they were always on the back for some reason). Shingle roofs instead of tin. And to much gingerbread(shutters, porch railings, etc.).If that isn't enough they are always painted some awful colors like purple with yellow trim instead of our white on white.Then I saw a post of Charlie's in which he had taken some toylike Model Power kits and with a little kitbashing and some paint turned them into scale models.So naturally I just did the same thing. Sorry Charlie (been waiting to use that line) but if it makes you feel any better your royalty check is in the mail. Course all mail has to leave here by way of the Nantahala Midland and with our poor track maint. the speed limit is 25 mph. Then went it finally gets to the post office at Bryson City it will have to be radiated for anthrax so it will take a while to get there. But trust me the checks in the mail!!!!:D

Attachments

• farmhouse.jpg
    farmhouse.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 197

Tyson Rayles

This shot was taken because I like looking at that paint job against all the greenery. The tobacco farm is behind the ridge behind the train.

Attachments

• east portal.jpg
    east portal.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 191

Drew1125

Great pics, my friend!
Borrow all the ideas you want! I'm honored!
That pick-up truck reminds me of one my Uncle Howard had.
One summer, hedecided it needed a paint job, so we went to the hardware store, bought a couple of brushes, & a couple of gallons of gray paint, & we painted that sucker!:D
The last time I saw that truck (many years ago), it was in the barn lot, with about a dozen cats calling it home! :(

Tyson Rayles

Look to the prototype when you need a answer? Modelers for years have used the "aisleside industry", a track running off the edge off the layout going to a supposed industry. Well my R.R. is loosely based on the Southern's Murphy branch it had 2 quarrys on it. Being there is no coal in these parts hoppers full of gravel was the next best bet. But how to treat it scenic wise? In reading a back issue of Model Railroader there was a article on modeling the Murphy Branch with photo's of the industries.One of the quarrys track was so bad they put up a gate out side the quarry to keep the engineer from pulling in.He would leave the cars outside the gate and a front-end loader would come out and pull them into the quarry and push 'em back outside the gate when they were loaded. All you could see in the photo was the track disappearing between a cut in the trees with a little swing gate across it! Perfect for that narrow space behind the tobacco farm.

Attachments

• spur.jpg
    spur.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 185
darned good model you made of the farmhouse Tyson, all you need is the authentic detail now.... (Maw riding shotgun on the porch) !! :D :D ............ Just kidding ya :)

I love your foliage too and the spur with the gate.. (private yard?)

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Tyson Rayles

Thanks Matthyro, but your layout isn't looking to shabby either. Can't wait to see that waterfront scene when its finished.