A-f ain't running

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Justin, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Member

I recently recieved an American Flyer #283 yesterday.So I cleaned the rear pick-up wheels, cleaned brushes, and the cummator. Ran for a few, then it got slower,andstopped!I lift ofrails but the tender, itruns, on a good spot on the track. set itdown,NO MORE!!!:curse: Dirtywheels? Input please!
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

There can be a host of problems ranging from dirty track, dirty wheels, poor electrical contact through out the track (poor track connections) or just a simple need for a CLA job on the engine.

Do you have any more details on your problem?
  3. Justin

Justin Member

Know I've clean the motor 3 times! Still ain't. 3 wires to it: Green/White L or R side? I think it has to do with the reverse unit. It clicks the whole time.:confused: Whats the deal?
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

AF have very poor E units. Check and see if the contacts are touching the drum. I just had to by-pass the E unit on the 283 that we have at the Museum, so now it only goes foward.
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

It may be that the reversing unit is stuck, or the locking lever is not completely set to forward or reverse. It's the little lever that sticks out under the tender....It should move left or right.