A DCC question

Traindude

Nov 13, 2007
Is there a way that you can attach a speaker to the circuit board of a non sound Dcc equiped tender?

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I'm not real sure what you mean, but simply attaching a speaker to the circuit board of a non-sound DCC loco is not going to do anything. Without all the software and hardware in the decoder, there will be no sound signal to drive the speaker.

Now, if you want to install a decoder with sound, I am sure that won't be too difficult.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There are "sound only" decoders that can be added to engines that already have a decoder for motion and light control. Most will have a separate speaker I believe.

In some cases though, it is easier (due to space restrictions) to use a decoder that provides both sound and motion control. Unless your engines have large tenders, you may find yourself pressed for space when you try to add a sound-only decoder AND speaker to an already-installed decoder.

Hope that answers your question.

Andrew

20trevor12

Nov 15, 2007
canada
i have purchased a dcc ready PCM Big Boy and would like to know what is the best decoder with sound to install in it??? must be avalible.

thanks 20trevor12

20trevor12

Nov 15, 2007
canada
Thanks Masonjar but I was looking for a more specific answer like a tsunami or Loksound with part numbers . The engine is a bigboy from PCM and is DCC ready. Plug and Play.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Trevor,

I did not try to answer your quesiton, as it came after my post...! ;)

I do not know the specific answer to your question. You may get a better response if you have your own thread - I can split your question off on its own if you like.

However, the generic answer is to search various decoder manufacturers' web sites for a recommendation. You are probably looking for a specific sound for the Big Boy, so your choices might be limited (and expensive...!). Try MRC, Digitrax, and Soundtraxx to start - they are the major sound decoder producers.

Andrew

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
You might want to check out the new Tsumani 1000 by Soundtraxx.
They use a 32 bit processor and run at a higher hertz- there for the sound is better.
It will provide the sound and the motor drive all in one decoder.