A Day at Strasburg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
On Sunday the family and I decided at the spur of the moment to drive out to Strasburg, PA and ride the train.

August2006_006a.jpg

August2006_007a.jpg

August2006_008a.jpg

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This rolling stock is looking like it came straight out of the box - spotless and tidy. Must have been fun to ride such a beautiful passenger car and listening to the stack talk of the loco!

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Ron

PS: Just a hint for anybody who dislikes weathering: Model a museum road like the Strasburg RR!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
There's a local HO club that modeled it :) Every building is prfect to scale :) Too Cool!!!!

The number on the sides of the passanger cars is the year restoration was completed....

Not sure on the plow... but it fits :) Looks to be about 40 years ago :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
There's a local HO club that modeled it Every building is perfect to scale Too Cool!!!!
They had the layout on display at the National Train Show, in Philadelphia. Having just completed the O scale kit of the "J" tower, I was impressed by the scratchbuilt HO version on the Strasburg layout!
Nice pictures Tom !!

scottcn

Jul 8, 2006
coastal SC
Thanks for the pictures! I spent Friday in Strasburg with my family (wife, kids, parents, sister) and we rode on the Strasburg Railroad. Unfortunately, the circus cars were not part of our train :( In addition to riding on the Railroad, we also visited the very impressive Railroad Museum of PA and the fun Choo Choo Barn.

My kids (future train lovers, hopefully!) we very impressed by the size of all the engines in the Museum.

- Scott

Attachments

• kids trains.jpg
    kids trains.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 120

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi tom---thanks for posting the pictures from strasburg---this was also a vacation destination for my wife and i a couple of years ago and you can be sure we'll be going back again.love that cn mogul,class e-10-a #89.when i was a kid,i rode one of those engines with my father who was an engineer on the canadian national.i have her sister on my roster---#81

260406066.jpg

260406061.jpg

you guys south of the border have got it made---steamtown,strasburg,north conway---that's where all the retired cn locomotives ended up---3254,89,and 31.i'm just glad there still around---thanks again tom,nutbar

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow! I wish I could drop by there "on the spur of the moment"!! :D

Or even Nutbar's layout...! ;)

We have a few things here, but nothing like that. Museum of Science and Tech has a 2-truck Shay you can ride, and there is the Wakefield Steam Train (a Swedish loco).

Andrew

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
cn nutbar said:
you guys south of the border have got it made---steamtown,strasburg,north conway---that's where all the retired cn locomotives ended up---3254,89,and 31.i'm just glad there still around---thanks again tom,nutbar
Ohio Central Railroad, a regional freight railroad whose owner has an interest in steam, has several Canadian engines in their steam operations as well (http://www.ocsteam.com/):

Grand Trunk E10a mogul #96 (awaiting restoration - another sister to your model!)
Canadian Norther H-6g ten wheeler #1551 (serviceable)
Canadian Pacific G-5d Pacific #1278 (awaiting restoration)
Canadian Pacific G-5d Pacific #1293 (serviceable)
Grand Trunk U-3b Northern #6325 (serviceable)

Of the lot, I've only seen 1293 run. 6325 was recently restored, but they are (or at least were) having trouble with a drive axle journal getting hot. They used to pull excursions, mostly with 1293, but I believe they've cut back in the last couple years.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hey, mister nutbar, I don't remember saying that you could have that loco back!!:curse: Next time you bring it out here, I'll have to repaint and renumber it again.:D :D
Thanks for posting this thread, Tom. I thought that I'd replied to it earlier (Doh!), as it brought back some fond memories. The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania was also very enjoyable.

Wayne