A.D.D. strikes again

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, May 25, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I can't for the life of me seem to stay focused on one project. A couple of years ago in college I took an autocad class and for the final project I drew the plans for an F-18 complete with cross sections with the idea of one day turning it into a model.

When Nobi mentioned the possibilty of designing a F-18 I remembered this file languishing in my old computer and decided that I'd help Nobi out, well I started doing more than perhaps I should and getting it to the point where I might think it's better to finish it myself than give it to Nobi but I think I'd better get rid of it or I'll never get my Corsair done. So here is a little peek.

I know it's sometimes a pain for a designer to start in the middle of some else's project so Nobi are you still interested?
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This isnt autocad?

Are you using Patch Modeling or Nurbs?
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

It's Rhino, which I didn't have back then but fortunately Rhino and Acad seem to be friendly enough to share files. The Autocad file was all laid out flat and as I had created all the cross sections it was very simple once I had it in Rhino to put them in place and create the meshes. I say simple what you see already done is simple but what's left to be done will be a lot harder.
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi William,

Hornet look real cool...look forward to see your hornet's detail look like your corsair :)
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Vertical Tail Question

I have been working on the Hornet( I hate attention deficit disorder) and am wondering about the vertical tails. Obviously they are canted outward, but I'm wondering if they are also offset a little? In looking at some real simple 3views it seems that the leading edges might just be angled outward from the center line so the distance between the fins gets narrower towards the tail. Can anyone confirm this observation?
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Progress Report

Just thought I'd let ya'll know what I've got done and what needs to be done.

Here's what is done:

What needs to done yet are the Sparrow/AMMRAM pallets landing gear, cockpit and other misc. items. Also I need some three views because the panel lines on my drawings are incomplete so if anyone could send some my way that would be appreciated.

Also what markings would you like to see on this baby?
  7. modelincard

modelincard Member

Blue Angels and NASA.:grin:
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

More distractions

This one ought to make Ashrunner happy.

Probably take forever to finish but it's in progress.
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Looks good.
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Still more distractions

I guess I'm waxing patriotic here. Ryan Short as some of you know wants a model of the B-25 in order to commemorate the Doolittle Raid and I volunteered. Just thought I'd give you all a little peek. Also I think I will use this model for my tutorial (sorry it's taking so long Yaniv) instead of the F-104.

Attached Files:

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks good so far.................. I volunteer to beta build if you need it.:grin:
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I might take you up on that. I have a march 18 deadline that I have to meet. I've agreed to give all rights to Ryan so he'll have to sign off on that.
    Obviously this won't be very detailed.
  14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi will no need to sorry my friend

if in your free time u make this KILLERS models so i can wait with my tutorial :)

b25 as tutorial will be just perfect for me

as a WW2 lover :)

i am volunteer to test build also :)
    i going to got this week a new camera with good pixel so i can make some good ditelings pic of the progres
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

You are a glutton for punishment. Nice work though and it looks to be pretty far along in the design process.

This is one of my all time favorite airplanes. I just like the way it looks for some reason, especially the -J model with all that firepower hanging off the nose...,

16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yeah I do seem to have some masochistic tendencies. I'm kind of amazed at the speed that this has been accomplished, I started a week ago today and I'm a day or 2 from starting to lay out parts. Granted it doesn't have all the fine details of the Corsair (or it's complex wings) but I guess all the time spent on it and Airwolf has paid off.

John, Yaniv, and Ray, aka Texman, Ryan signed off on beta builds by you guys so long as you post your builds. I'll get you the files as I get them done. Probably white versions only.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool............. white would be easier on the printer!
  18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

yes whait will be cool and mach chip to print (on my print aT WORK :) )
  19. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Looking great Will!