A couple of oldies...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
from an even older oldie!! :wave: Here are a few pictures of some older locomotives, although the first two are old only in the sense that they were first released many years ago. I did the first two conversions quite a few years back for my son, who's no longer much interested in trains. He liked the look of NYC-style front ends, and CPR-style all-weather cabs, along with CP's paint scheme.

This first loco is a Tyco: it's been remotored and regeared, and runs smoothly and pulls great. Most of the detail parts are from Cal-Scale. The all-weather cab is scratchbuilt from styrene.
2007-01-10_497.jpg

2007-01-10_491.jpg

This Pacific is from Bowser. It's also been regeared and remotored with a can motor. Again, most details from Cal-Scale, with a scratchbuilt cab. We settled on the Tyco tender as the company standard.
2007-01-10_488.jpg

This final loco is indeed an oldie: my Dad bought it for me in about 1957, and it was a used loco then. Originally, it was a NYC-style loco, made by John English. Many, many years ago, I altered it to represent an oil-burning CPR loco (which resulted in the original tender having its cast coal load filed flat - I still have it, although it's not much use in its present condition). In the mid-to-late-70's, I modified it again, to the form shown here.
The detail parts are mostly Cal-Scale again, although the cab is from Kemtron. The tender is scratchbuilt.
2007-01-10_208.jpg

Once a few other loco rebuilds have been taken care of, this one will be going back in the shops for yet another reworking, which will include removal of the Elesco system, an all-new front end, the return of the steam dome to its proper location, and, probably, replacement of the cab. I have a new Bachmann USRA-style tender on hand, so the old one will be scrapped. (Those Central Valley trucks will end up under an as-yet-to-be-built wooden express car.) This is one of my few locos with a working headlight, which will be removed during the rebuild. Those class lights also work.
2007-01-10_205.jpg

This side view better shows the recently installed, and as-yet-unpainted, pickup shoes between the drivers. The old girl still has her original open frame motor, and runs as smoothly as a pair of silk stockings. :thumb:
2007-01-10_202.jpg

I hope that you've enjoyed this glimpse of some old standards from the earlier days of our hobby.

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Yeah, I enjoyed this glimpse :) . All three are very beautiful engines. Hard to believe that to want to rework the third one – it looks sooo good.

N

nachoman

nothing wrong with the oldies. I like the way there use to be kits where you could add whatever details you want. Does bowser still make kits?

kevin

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Really good looking engines Wayne, and the third one is awsome! That tender is most impressive. I have to agree with the others, don't know why you would want to rework something that looks that good.
And by the way, there are a number of members that are just starting, or are in the early stages of their layout, that would appreciate at least a few current photos of operations on your layout. There, was that subtle enough!
Nice work Wayne --------John

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
nice engines wayne!i cant beleive you actually want to CHANGE that last engine.but anytime you dont need some old engines or are scrappin um..uh maybe...you oculd do a guy a favor LOL--josh

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Part of the reason for wanting to rebuild the 206 is that the Grand Valley needs some heavier passenger power than the two Moguls that are now in service.
2007-01-10_016.jpg

It'll likely be done-up to represent a loco transferred from parent company Elora Gorge & Eastern, so I may or may not keep the all-weather cab. The new tender will reflect current practice on the EG&E.
2007-01-10_395.jpg

2007-01-10_411.jpg

If I can locate another Tyco Mikado chassis in good condition, I'd like to make it and the 914 into a pair of USRA Heavy Mikes, using the Cary boilers. I'm undecided as to the fate of the 918.

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Sorry Wayne...I just happen to have a Mike chassis....and a boiler & cab & drivers...

It's a kit I picked up on eBay that's been waiting for me to get around to it. Got a can motor & detailing parts for it. One of these days...

Oh!, by the way...Fabulous engines you got there...:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
#4807 Rules!!!

TRULY OUTSTANDING WAYNE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: you have done a FANTASTIC JOB on those steamers!:thumb: after seeing those pics, my NEW FAVORITE steamer you have is #4807;) , that engine is SLAP AWESOME WAYNE!!!:D GREAT SHOTS!!!, THANKS!:D EDIT: BTW, Wayne, REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to seeing #4807 in some upcoming photo shoots!...HINT....HINT...HINT...;)tooth1:D.
:D -Deano

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I sure would be happy if I had one of those excellent locos and you have plenty :)
Splendid pictures that looks like the real thing.
It would be fare to say that they have kept there youth quite well :wave:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Once again, thanks to all for taking the time to view these old girls.
Dean, I'm working on rebuilding a bunch of boxcars and reefers right now: the 4807 may get the call for the first run-by.;)

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Dean, I'm working on rebuilding a bunch of boxcars and reefers right now: the 4807 may get the call for the first run-by.;)
Wayne
Wayne:wave:, that would be AWESOME!!!:thumb::D I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting your next run-by:D. THANKS WAYNE!:D -Deano