A couple of dumb questions....

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Ok, folks, I have a couple of dumb questions:

1) Why the heck hasn't some enterprising card model designer ever designed a model of the Nostromo from the original "Aliens" movie? I mean, jeez, there are card models of all kinds of obscure sci-fi subjects, yet we don't have a model of one of the more iconic spacecraft from sci-fi moviedom. I was thinking that maybe no one has designed one because of some of the Nostromo's complex shapes, but after building the BC-303 Prometheus from "Stargate SG-1," I realize there are folks out there designing and offering up some good models with complex shapes.

2) I'm no math whiz, so I have to ask -- If I want to enlarge something from 1/100th scale to 1/96th, how much do I have to enlarge it by? I know the answer is probably simple (enlarge it at 104 percent?) but I thought I'd run it past you guys who may actually know something about math.

3) Has anyone tried to repaint the Marscenter Soyuz launcher? (Ok, that's three questions, not a couple.) I'm wanting to build a nice Soyuz launcher -- in 1/96th scale, hence Question No. 2 above -- but I want to build it in the current grayish scheme, not green. Has anyone done this? I ask because my computer design skills are non-existent.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

1. I think I've seen one............. somewhere

2. Yes 104% 100/96 = 1.0416666666666666666666666666667

3. N/A for me anyway

3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Anything to do with Aliens will be found here (BTW the original, and best, is ALIEN, no 's' the second was Aliens, but thats just me, being pedantic :) ) http://aliens.humlak.cz/ and no Nostromo, nor any progress on the drop ship either
    question two has been answered and third is a nope.
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Have you tried to contact Raimondo Fortezza? I think he can guide you with your repaint interest.
    His e-mail is in the MarsCenter web site.

I also saw an Alien somewhere. I have to dig in my bookmarks.
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

6. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I haven't contacted Raimondo, but I guess I should. I was just trying to make sure I didn't try and re-invent the wheel.

As far as Erik's Soyuz goes, it's a fairly simplified version and I'm looking for something a bit more detailed. Erik is The King when it comes to designing his models, but even he admits his Soyuz is a simple version of the launch vehicle.
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

A friend of mine has a website www.nostromobuilders.com but it seems down right now for some reason. He builds in sheet plastic and not paper and does all his designs based on plans, schematics and upscaled measurements of plastic models.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Dumb questions? Never!! The only dumb question is the one you don't ask....

Tim P (wunwinglow)