A couple more oldies projects.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
How old are they?..With an original price of $27.00,...They have to be old.
Can't wait for the finished projects.
I hope that big rubber band with the Mantua isn't the drive.........

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The Mantua paperwork is dated 1955.
I paid less than the price marked on the box for the Mantua.
I haven't tested the motor yet but it doesn't look like it has been run much , if it has ever been ran?
I think the rubber band is for those Wiley Coyote thrust starts.
The Suburban is part of a deal I made with my brother to help thin out his collection of projects.

ak-milw

May 16, 2004
Ray,

Couple of great salvage projects!! I have a Mikato just like that one but mine is part of a B&O, Royal Blue, passenger set. I got it back when I was in 8th grade, lets see 1967. I got the engine and three passenger cars, traded my buddy a slot car set for it! Mines on the project shelf waiting to be redone some day, don't know what i'm going to do with those cars though.
:cool:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
That Mike looks like it certainly has potential. it must have been produced for quite a few years past your issue, anyone know? I figure a mikado would be the largest steam engine on my layout without look ridicuous on the 24" curves.
On the other hand thar 2-6-6 made me amke a double take and ask what the heck is that! That's the first time i've ever even heard of such an animal.
Good luck with the projects.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ray,It does my heart good to see interest in those old antique engines..The average young modeler wouldn't know where to start being a engine kit or refurbishing a older engine..To my mind that's sad because the next generation of modelers will lack the very skills that was once necessary for our hobby..I see questions asks that was once easy to figure out without the need of being ask.What is more shocking is more and more replies refer them to a book or worst a very complex answer when there is a simpler solution. :(

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I completely disassembled the Mantua Mike and stripped the paint.
I had to repair the broken pilot and one of the brackets for the crosshead guide and valve gear.
To repair these I drilled holes for dowel pins and JB welded them in.
Missing spacers for one of the crank pins were fabricated.
I found some problems with the driver axle bearings that leads me to believe this loco has never been run. After reforming the bearings I have the mechanism running.

Attachments

• Oct11^02.JPG
    Oct11^02.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 62

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Once the running gear was debugged and running smooth I replaced the open frame motor wit this Mubachi motor with a flywheel.

I removed the boiler and painted the loco with the chassis assembled.

Attachments

• Dec16^53.JPG
    Dec16^53.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Jan08$05.JPG
    Jan08$05.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Jan08$17.JPG
    Jan08$17.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Jan08$13.JPG
    Jan08$13.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 65

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great...now you've got me looking at that 60s era Bowser K4 kit I've been putting off....

Got to be some kinda puller with that flywheel, sweet work :thumb:

Can I ask how you get paint to adhere to the plating on the driver wheels and railings?

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Guys,
shaygetz said:
Can I ask how you get paint to adhere to the plating on the driver wheels and railings?
The drivers get brushed with a fine wire brush before assembly and the railings I sand before I form them then wipe any oils from handling with thinner or alcohol.
The clear coat helps keep the color on them as it takes longer to wear through the clear before wearing the color coat off.
That Bowser K4 can be made into a nice loco.
I need to quit putting off the K4 I am scratch-building. It's down to building the tender and adding a few detail parts.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
What happened to that surburban tank loco, that was so cool! :confused:
I am waiting for the parts to repair my milling machine to come in. I was milling a new gear box for that loco when it broke.
I only have a few more parts to make for it after that.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
This thread is awesome. I'm glad to see that there are still those who can work the magic from the old days! Fabricating spacers... milling gear boxes... Fantastic stuff!:)