A Christmas story...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
(Not my story personally but it starts in first person)

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I was just a kid.

I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous" cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous, because grandma said so. It had to be true.

Grandma was home and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?" she snorted, "Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad! Now, put on your coat and let's go."

"Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked I hadn't even finished my second world-famous cinnamon bun.

"Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.

Ten dollars was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she said, "and buy something for someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in the car." Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's.

I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all by myself.

The store seemed big and crowded, full of people scrambling to finish their Christmas shopping. For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy and who on earth to buy it for. I thought of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, the kids at school, the people who went to my church.

I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobby Decker. He was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class.

Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out to recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked real warm, and he would like that.

"Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down.

"Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."

The nice lady smiled at me as I told her about how Bobby really needed a good winter coat. I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in a bag, smiled again and wished me a Merry Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat in Christmas paper and ribbons and wrote, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on a card. (A little tag fell out of the coat and Grandma tucked it in her Bible.)

Grandma said that Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she drove me over to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk.

Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going"

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present down on his step, pounded on his door and flew back to the safety of the bushes and Grandma.

Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did and there stood Bobby

Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering beside my Grandma in Bobby Decker's bushes. That night I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just what Grandma said they were: Ridiculous! Santa was alive and well and we were on his team.

I still have the Bible, with the coat tag tucked inside ~ $19.95.

May you always have LOVE to share,
HEALTH to spare and FRIENDS who care ...

... and may you always believe in the magic of Santa Claus!

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
That is a wonderful story. Thank you.

This is my favorite Christmas story, for your enjoyment.
Turn your sound on.
http://www.undermilkwood.net/prose_christmas.html

A Merry Christmas to you, you Santa's helper you.

TrainClown
wink.gif

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Nice story.
Here's another for your enjoyment. This really happened.

Back in 1983, I was stationed at Gieblstadt Army Airfield in Germany. This base had the distinction of being the test site for the Me-262 during WWII. Aldolf Galland had mentioned it in his book as a "secret airbase south of Wurzburg".
It was Christmas Eve, and I had just returned to my room from the mess hall. I was kicking of my boots when the CQ(Charge of Quarters) runner Knocked on my door. Top(first sergent) wanted to see me.
I reported to his office, and there sat another guy in my unit. He was living off post, and had his family in country, a wife and two children. He wanted to spend Christmas Eve with his family, and as with tradition, they always opened gifts that night. Unfortunatly, he had come up for guard duty that night. Top wanted to know if I would switch with him, because my gaurd duty was coming up Christmas Day. Being single and living in the barracks, I of course said yes. Top then told me, that I would get a three day pass for being generous. I told Top" Its Christmas......I don't need anything. Just him being with his family on Christmas is enough for me." He gave me the three day pass anyway.
But the story doesne't end there.......
I was assigned to hanger guard that night. I was standing in between two hangers, trying to stay warm from the biting German wind. I was also thinking of home, wondering what my own family was doing that night. Then I heard it. A Christams carol, being played by some brass insturments. I started to walk toward where the music was coming from.
After coming around the corner of the last hanger in the area, there was the fire department. It was manned by German Nationals. Outside were three guys with brass insturments playing "Holy Night". I stood freezing, listening. Since I was the only one out on the airfield that night, I thought that they were playing just for me. They played a couple of more traditional Christmas songs. When they finished, I started to clap my hands. They all bowed and wished me a Merry Christmas. I returned the greeeting, and started to walk back to the center of the ramp. I really felt warm after that. Before I could reach the spot where I was before a jeep pulled up along side.
It was the Sergent of the Gaurd. In the jeep with him was the soldier I had traded duty with that night, his wife, and both kids were bundled in the back. The kids said Thank-you and wished me Merry Christmas, one of them handed me a hand drawn Christmas card. His wife handed me a Thermos of hot chocolate, and the guy I traded duty with handed me a paper plate, stuffed as much as he could fit with Christmas dinner they had that night. I said thank-you, wished them all a Merry Christmas, and the jeep speed off. That was one of the best Christmas dinners I had. The next day, Christmas Day, before the guy I traded duty with, reported to gaurd duty, he came to the Gaurd Shack and handed me a bottle of Shnapps, and said Thank-You.
I know we all have one Christmas that remains with, but this one I will never forget.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all those families, and to those who are defending our freedoms...And can't be with the ones we love during the Holidays.