A card and masking tape frigate?

Discussion in 'Mixed Medium' started by Eibwen, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

Hello! I have been "experimentimg" on materials and I have found this card and masking tape thing which I made by my self :)

This is my first try with the method and it is a 32-gun frigate (not done yet)

Attached Files:

2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

I think you would get further with fiberglass cloth and resin. It wouldn't waste such a good frame work! ;)
  3. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

Haha, thanks. I actually made that as an experiment if I can see if it looks good but I saw some errors like some tape went inside the hull and stuffs.
    It was alao very lightweight when placed in the water. What I really liked about it was how the transom looked, I kind of liked it :)
  4. zathros

The Transom does look good. I am very good at lofting hulls. I could loft the Hull if I had the shape of the formers and a side view with the spacing and their relative position to eachother. This would allow you to make a cardboard exterior to which you could fiberglass a hull onto. I have made many R/C sailboats and motorboats this way. They are extremely durable and take to fixing a modifications well. This method just doesn't work on the sides. The ship loses it shape too much.
    Some of my work:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    cylongirl and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  5. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

Wow! You're great man!
  6. zathros

Nah, but if you can make framing like that, I can teach you how to skin it really easily. The manual method is with string. Just run a length of string on the frame outer edges, that will give you the length, you know the starting and ending points of each section, use the deck for the top locating point, measure the string, draw lines down from a straight squared line, and each place where the former is, number them and cut the strips, lay them down, measure, then, draw the lines on the paper at each corresponding numbered spot, and the skins will form and fit perfectly. Cut a strip of paper to place on the frame, so you can align the strips perfectly, and prefect the "skeleton look", from the frame showing through. You can either glue wooden strips, or fiberglass right over this. Start at the bow and stern, it is easier to adjust the middle. If yo ever want some pointers, let me know. :)
    cylongirl, DanBKing and Tonino like this.