A Bonnie Banshee (Skyline Models Banshee in RCN Markings)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Rick Thomson, May 22, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Well, this will be my first build thread here so bear with me.

I've been doing a repaint of Skylines Banjo over the last while and this will be the final check before Jeremiah releases it for sale. If anyone sees any glaring errors let me know so that I can correct them.

Landing gear being a nemisis of mine, I decided to get that out of the way at once, and as I have never done a clear canopy before I'll get that done at the start as well before frustration sets in. Below are a finished main strut and wheel, a main wheel that has been turned, the raw nosewheel chucked into my el-cheapo noname dremel for turning, a wire pattern for the main gear strut, and the canopy ready to be filled with modeling clay.

This build will take awhile as I work shifts and am away for 2 weeks as of this weekend.
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I'm with you Rick, never successfully finished a build thread...YET...I will keep trying.

You used a noname, but still called it a Dremel...a man after my own heart!:roll:

What do you mean it was turned? Is it made of paper? What was the process? Should I leave you alone already? lol
  3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Where did you get a screw long enough to mount the wheel on the mandrel? I can't find any.
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Phil, I cut out circles from 1mm card and glue them together, drill a hole in the middle and use the attachment which usually holds the circular saw or abrasive disks on the dremel (or engraving tool, whatever you want to call it). The screw is just long enough to attach something with a thickness of 6mm.

Then I fire up the dremel and form the wheel with 120 grain sand paper ( which is just what I happen to have on hand...which fits in with the first bit of my signature... :grin:)

I suspect that I am going to have to see if I can find a longer screw soon, fortunately I work in the metalworking industry and we have just about every size screw you can think of in the tool crib.

So just off nightshift and too beat to do anything right now, will see what I can manage this afternoon.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Rick... if you need any 2D assistance, don't hesitate to send me the part in question and a reference.

I can show you a sample of my work to to prove I could recreate a badge from next to nothing. =)

ps. I really gotta fix my old dremel.
  7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Steve,

A shot of the triangular ejection seat warning would be nice, I used some photos from a couple of books I have for it, but the resolution was less than great.

Not much progress today, cockpit tub is done, but as that has already been shown here, I won't bother with a photo of it. The canopy is giving me problems, but I figure that is just a question of practice, a third hand to hold the hairdryer would be nice though...

Here's a teaser for you, the scales of the parts have been randomly changed, so no use to anyone other than to look at.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Warning picture........... closest I could find so far
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Thanks John that cleared up a couple of questions for me, I wasn't certain if the hook compartment was red or not, and the same applied to the nose gear doors. I had found pictures showing that the main gear doors, and flaps were red on the inside surfaces and assumed that the same would apply to the hook and nose gear but wasn't sure.

The canopy shot me down again, think I'll put that aside for now and concentrate on the fuselage for a bit.

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hey Rick ... Sorry I did'nt reply right back. This week is crazy with me working out of 2 offices in a new job and neither have Cad Standards ... lol.

Anyhow. Any decals you want reproduced let me know and I'll them up for you as long as I have some references.

Here is a sample of the last logo I recreated.

Recreation as a Wallpaper (reduced from 1280x1024)

Close up 33%

14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

No problem Steve, reality gets in the way of the more important stuff like modeling at times...;-)

That's a nice badge you did there. If I didn't already have a good one of VF870 I'd definitely hit you up for one.

I got a bit further along with the fuselage today, but am off to Italy on vacation for the next ten days, so will post photos when I am back (She Who Must Be Obeyed would kill me if I took any modeling stuff with me...)

15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Fuselage sections

Well, I'm back from Italy, and have managed a bit more on the Banshee, the fusalage sections from the cockpit back to the tail are finished and ready for assembly. Getting the cockpit tub into position called for some inventive use of cursewords as well as holding the tongue in the right position. Looking at the instructions ( Engineering Orders? We don't need no steenking Engineering Orders...), I see that I shouldn't have installed the rear bulkhead before doing that. The dry fit looks pretty good so far.
  16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nose Gear Well and Arrestor Hook Well

Some more progress today. The nose gear and arrestor hook wells are a bit fiddley but I think that they will do, perhaps some putty and sanding in the arrestor hook area. The bulkheads on the kit do not have a hole in the centre, but I have cut one out where possible so that I can work from inside the fuselage where needed, such as on the hook compartment, and later the cannons

On the photos are the cockpit section, the nose section ahead of it, as well as the framwork for the radome. Also the aft section, nose gear well and hook well. The next one shows the wells installed and the cockpit and nose section assembled with the cannon opening cut out. The radome won't be put in place until very late in the build as I need the opening to insert weights etc,
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

As I warned at the start of this thread, progress has been slow on this build, but I've managed the wing spars and port wing structure over the last few days.
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rick................ I don't know about you, but I think the Banshee just looks naked without wing tanks.............we just might have to scratch build some:grin:

It's looking pretty darn good........... slow or otherwise keep the pictures coming!

19. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi John,

The Banjo does look better with tips, and 870 had some flashy ones. They were only mounted when flying from Shearwater though, as there was not enough clearance in HMCS Bonaventure's hanger deck for them.

As much of a soft spot as I have for the Bonnie, she was not the carrier that the RCN should have bought to replace the Maggie, we could have had one of the Essex Class from the USN for a buck, and had we done that we might still be in the carrier business.
  20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Ok, some more progress on this glacial build.

The gunbays are installed, if you build this model, you will find that the cutouts for the cannon in the bulkheads will have to be enlarged a bit, and some trimming and painting of the muzzles will be needed (at least in my case as I am the original Joe Thumbfingers). The wings are a right bugger to attach to the fuselage, especially at the rear, I aded a thin strip of 1mm card running along the white area, which helped in getting it attached without too much cursing.

RCN Banshee Build - Hobby Photo Gallery - Zealot.com

Fuselage, starboard wing,and gunbay before assembly, I notice that I have to tweak the alignment of the upper camoflage as it has a bend in it at the junction of the middle fuselage and the cockpit area. Back to the drawing board here...

Wings and fuselage as seen from above.

and below, with the gear wells.