A Blast from the PAST.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

To put it simple I ran out of room. I am operating three main line tracks and one trolley line on a 5 X 10 layout. So I took an idea from a old Lionel dealer layout I saw a while back. The solution was simple go under ground.

I am going to have 1/4th of the total track above ground and 3/4th of the track under the table. By making a large S curve I now can even run larger train consist. The large S curve will permit the extra space I need to run a consist of 30 cars without it appearing it is running engine to caboose. Basically the track will lead to a tunnel which will then drop the track below the main level of the layout. The track then will eat up as much space under the table it can. The track then will again reach the upper level through a tunnel making it possible to fit in another main line which will be the longest in regards to operating those long consist that I like.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

hmm, sounds cool,

i cant see how o-scale guys are happy with 5 x 10 or smaller layouts, 5x10 is not even big enough for me in N-scale when i was in it before the fire.

i guess that explains why my o-scale sits in box's and i run temporary carpet layouts at home, no space for what i want so i do completely without. but i got the club layout to mess with to.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

You can pack a ton of fun in a 5x10. However if your one of those that has to have a large yard then it gets real small.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i just have a lot of idea's for scenes , and different things i want to do, and at the same time i dont like a "crowded" layout. then trow in the fact that some of my favorite cars i have look funny going around 0-60 curves.......

i got lionel stack cars that over hangs on 084 curves at the club. not bad tho. but lionel claims it can run on 036, it do but it does it ugly, it over hangs so bad i can see all 3 rails under it....lol
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

My tunnels are a little to short for any stack cars. :mrgreen: One of those future things I didn't consider when I built the layout.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

how tall is your tunnels? my stack car is 5 inch tall without track under it.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

here is a lionel husky stack car on 031 curve

Attached Files:

8. Brutus

Brutus Member

Is that tubular O, then it's O31? But man - that is bad! LOL

Renovo, I think that sounds like a great idea!
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

its the tubular 0 , just think what it would look like on 027 curves, maybe i will dig some 027 out and take more pics. lol