A bit worn down

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by viperman, Sep 28, 2006.

1. viperman

viperman Active Member

Spotted this old car out in New Lenox, IL right off the EJ&E tracks that run through town

2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Never mind to my post in the boxcar of the week forum, What was the boxcar lettered for originally? Why is it just sitting there?
  3. viperman

viperman Active Member

I can't tell what it was originally lettered, but it did have an E on it, so my guess would be EJ&E, but that is just a guess. The EJ&E tracks are actually in sight in the second pic, at a grade crossing.

The car looks like it is being used as storage. There are some things sitting on the floor, like the company it is sitting outside of put them there for storage.
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Has anyone modeled stuff like this? I'm sure it's hard to convince yourself to destroy a perfectly good box car when it could be added to your trains, but this could be an interesting scene
  5. JAyers

JAyers Member

I would think that making a casting of the sides and the ends, then UNDER pouring the resin would make this an, easy? model. If you had the cast equipment.

Also could be a good use of some beat up train-set cars you always see at garage sales. Get your dremel ready!

6. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I think I'd go with the destructive route. Tearing up garage sale finds would have to be more fun ;)
  7. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

The owner of this car (if you dare calling that THING a CAR :D) must be a perfect optimist. IMHO the protection again rain, dust, sunrays and theft it offers seems a bit below normal storage room standards! sign1

But it would be a challenge to model such a car skeleton. And the second challenge would be the proper weathering of this model...

8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I just looked over the first photo and you can see UNITED and then USA on it. My guess is it was a former United States Army Box Car.
  9. viperman

viperman Active Member

I saw that before I took the pic, but it looks a bit fresh compared to the rest of the car. Maybe though!
  10. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

...is Art!