A big Howdee from SC!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Amazyah, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello everyone!
    I am very elated to be a member here and to have a place with which to share my experiences with others who have a passion with paper models like myself!
    As with a lot of you here, I have had my share of the plastic modeling as a "Yung'n" and had left that world behind as I entered adulthood and all my time was consumed by "responsibilities".
    I have been disabled for one year now and have been going crazy trying to fill my abundant spare time with something to keep my mind and hands busy.:-? I had never heard of paper modeling until I accidentally ran into it on the internet two weeks ago. I can already say that I am a full fledged addict now as I already have downloaded over 10 Gigabytes of freebies and purchased a few models on E-bay!
    Paper modeling has reignited the passions and joys I had in childhood and along with todays technologies, has opened up a whole new world to me. I am bored no longer!:-D
    I have already read a ton of threads in this forum and feel as if I know some of you very well. You are all a very friendly, helpful bunch of people and I am elated to be a member of Cardmodels and I feel privleged to be included in the same group of outstanding people!
    A hearty "Hello" to each and every one of you!
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Well Howdee do yerself Russell. I reckon you'll find a great group of
    folks here. And since you just discovered this hobby a couple of weeks ago,
    any questions ya got will get answered by several folks, each with
    their own way of doing something. Take it in, learn from all, share your
    builds and pictures with us, and just have fun!

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy Tex!
    I sure appreciate the welcome!
    I'll be making posts of my builds and sharing with y'all. I've already learned a ton just by reading previous threads. I'm enjoying every minute here.:)
    Good to meet ya!
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Howdy, Russell!:grin:

Glad to have you on board!

As Ray said, feel free to post questions; I know I had a lot of them when I started out...still do, come to think of it.:wink: You'll find lots of answers in the various build threads, but any you don't see answered, ask away!

5. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Welcome to the site.....:grin: I think you will find a lot of good ppl and tons of info:)
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

New Member Russel

Howdy, Russel!

Welcome to the fraternity of paper model nerds! I got addicted last November (in 2005) when I too discovered the exciting world of card models and related forums by pure chance - I had no idea how big this thing had become over the recent years!
    I haven´t done very much else since then, but I must say it has given me a whole new perspective. When I build a model today, I always do some extensive research into technical and historical facts beforehand; the people involved, colour schemes, plans and drawings and so on, which gives me so much more new knowledge and makes the modelling so much more appealing and interesting.

In my early teens, I did quite a lot of modelling. Mostly plastic scale kits of airplanes and an occasional Guillows balsa stick & tissue scale model (e. g. a Fokker Triplane) but I also made quite a few card models.
    I bought what was available here in Sweden, mostly medieval castles and houses but I also designed some card models of my own; spacecraft (this was way back in the late 60s), airplanes, miniature space cities (I built one for ants!) flying saucers and cars.

Now that I´ve re-discovered card modelling and seen some of the fantastic work that can be done in this medium, I´m definately hooked for life!
    I started out with real space scale models (Apollo and Mercury capsules and Saturn and Redstone rockets, Lunar Modules and Space shuttles) and I still do some work on them now and then. However, my main interest at the moment is aeroplanes from WW I, especially Fokker designs, but also the early civilian airliners, for example Junkers, Fokker, Lockheed or McDonnell-Douglas. I have also a great interest for airships and I have almost completed the LZ-127 "Graf Zeppelin" in 1:200 scale.
    I have downloaded about 5 Gbytes of models so far, and bought quite a few from different sources in Germany and the US, for example FG. I´m sort of collecting special models, too, for future projects. It´s also fun to try to push the limits of the medium and to try new paper media and other related materials to make the models as detailed and realistic as possible.
    So, I´m not especially bored either - I usually stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning to be able to work in peace when the rest of the family is asleep...

Have fun, Russel, and enjoy the good company!
    I certainly have the last couple of months.
    Bengt in Stockholm
  7. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Welcome Russell

Jim Nunn
  8. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Howdy Russell!
    Welcome indeed!
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I feel like I have come home to a family reunion!
    Hallo Bengt,
    Are you a member of Kartonbau.de as well? I do not speak German but I enjoy there site as well. I could swear I have seen posts from you there. They are a great bunch of people there too and although I don't speak German I can understand the meanings behind many of the posts there.
    Looks like I am going to have many models on the back burner as well. Not counting the 10 Gigs I have downloaded from the internet, I have just purchased 5 models from an Israeli on E-Bay and am also bidding on a model of the Titanic. Are you familiar with this model? According to the seller it was made in Germany in 1993. It looks to be an advanced build and will be 53" long at complettion. The company name on the book is Taschen. I was just curious if this company was known for it's quality and whether or not this is a quality model. The seller claims that it retailed for $80. In any event, I guess I could always Google it.
  10. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Welcome Aboard!

Hi Russell!
    It's great to have you aboard! This is a great community: they have certainly made me feel welcome and wow, have I learned lots!
    Best regards,
    Your Canadian friend,
  11. A big welcome, Amazyah! I'm a relative newbie to this forum myself, only having joined a couple of weeks ago. I gotta tell you, it's been an incredible experience. I've learned a lot and have gotten a lot of good advice, tips, and help from many of the members. You're gonna like it here.
    Keep your razor sharp,
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

RMS Titanic

Hi Russel,

Yep, I´m a member there too. And at Kartonmodell-Forum, and Starship Modeler, and Fiddlers Green Forum, and Airship Modeler, and Papermodels II, and the Aerodrome Forum... have I left something out?
    You can post in English at Kartonbau.de too, some do (like my Swedish modelling friend Leif Ohlsson).
    I have found a rather nice card model (two, actually) of the RMS Titanic, with a full hull (not just a waterline model, like the one from JSC), at Betexa´s site: (see also attached image below)

http://www.betexa.cz/eng/btx-ramy.html -click on "technical models", and then "ships" for full info on the model!
    There seems to be one in 1:35 (60 centimeters in length) and one in 1:450 scale (this is the one referred to in the text).
    The only minor drawback is that the assembly instructions are in Czech! However, they are preparing translations in English and German at the moment (I´ve asked them to mail me when that has been completed). There are also several translation pages on the web. Polish to English translations are frequently used by many card modellers.

You can order directly from them online (I used credit card and it worked smoothly). Drop them a mail first (in English) to see what they have at the moment. You´ll get an immediate reply. I have ordered their wonderful model of the Atlantis space shuttle (in 1:72 scale with full cockpit interior, window templates, retractable landing gear, and complete cargo bay with the Magellan Venus satellite probe) and the Bugatti EB-110 sports car (in 1:18 scale with full interior). Beautiful models, designed by master card model designer Pavel Bestr.

Benedikt Taschen Verlag (Taschen Specials) has the complete building book I assume that you mean, with the card model in 1:200 scale.
    Buy it if it still isn´t sold, is my advice! I would, if the price is reasonable.
    Taschen specializes in very high quality photographic art books, in large formats. No doubt this book is in line with their usual high standard.
    Check out this at Amazon.com:

Have fun!

Attached Files:

13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome aboard! Hope you find this place to be a nice comfortable home to learn, converse, trade ideas, share builds and otherwise enjoy yourself.

14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello Jim and Don, great to be here!
    Howdy Gil, I do, I will and I am! :grin:
    Thank you all..!
    Hello again Bengt! Wow, you really have gotten around on the forums! I have found many good downloads and lots of good advice at Kartonbau.de
    I am going to have to check out the others as well. Thanks for that tip!
    I checked out the link for the book and yes! That is the exact same picture that is on the model cover except that it has his last name at the bottom. I sure hope I get it, as I am bidding against others. I don't mind spending an extra few dollars on it as I am sure it will be a very enjoyable build and especially now that I know it is from a quality designer. Thanks again!:wink:
    One thing I have noticed in just the past couple of weeks is that it seems the Polish models are of exceptional quality when compared to most others. I don't mean they are definately the best, just up there amoung the best. I may be a little biased, as I am actually of Polish decent. My Great Grandparents came to the US from Poland. There last name was Wojtak. Pronounced; Voytok.
    Thanks also for the link...I'm going shopping!:-D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.