A 3-D Illusion Design-Haunted Hallways

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by outersketcher, Sep 24, 2007.

1. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

I painted this acrylic painting a few years ago while in art school. Since then, I've scanned the painting and turned it into a paper model for anyone who'd like to build it. Literally, I had to take a digital photograph of each panel, imported them into photoshop for adjustment, then imported the touched up photoshop files into an Illustrator where I'd built the line art layout.

The painting is a 3-dimensional piece that moves around as you walk by it or if you do something silly like jump up and down in front of it. It freaks people out when they see it.

The paper model does the same thing.

Here are a couple of hints to help you make the illusion work:

1) Make sure that you darken ALL the white edges with black or dark gray marker or pencil before you glue the model together. If you fail to do so, THE ILLUSION WON'T WORK!

2) Also, try to avoid harsh lighting or spotlights when you hang the model up. Spotlights reflecting off the surface of the model will spoil the illusion effect.

Instructions are included in the pdf.

I know the pdf is large (4mgs), but you'll see why once you've downloaded the model. I've made the model itself as big as possible on each parts sheet to maximize the illusion effect when built.

The model is free on my website in the papercraft section.

P.S. more models... like the two-headed chicken and kolywopter are coming soon.

David Church

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super cool! I gotta get it done for halloween :) then it will be perfect in my cube at work :)
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Great... now I want to build em to remind me of the creepy pictures my parents had on the walls of the living room.

A spanish man and woman in traditional attire who stared at you no matter where you went in the room.

Now I have a place where they come from ... hehe.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Finished up my build this morning and already have it hanging! This is a very quick build - can get it done in a sitting if the kids leave you alone.

It goes together very nicely the graphics are very good. The illusion works super! Just need to be at the right distance, not too far and not too close. Lighting is also a consideration - If any light falls directly on the model it tends to ruin the illusion so dont put it where light will hit it directly from a window and you will be good!

Overall I had a great time building it, cant wait for the family to see it!
    Thanks David! Looking forward to the other models :)
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice! I didn't know what it was at first but now... I'm freaked! Great work and nice texture!
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I built this up just before Halloween. Here's some pictures - they actually show the illusion quite well. This was a nice fun build while the wife was decorating for the holiday ;)
    Thanks for sharing it David :thumb:

Attached Files:

7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

That looks great! Thanks for showing it like that, that's enough to make me want to build it now.. nice work.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its a fun model! I took minbe to work after halloween and put it up to freak people out that come into my cube - it works :D
  9. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Wow! May I post your shots on my website? Your photos are much better than my own.

I've had the original hanging on a wall at work and I never tell anyone about it. It's more fun to observe their shocked expressions when they suddenly realize that something is ....freaky odd....

If you can take the time to make the model strong, go ahead and let people touch it. Some people get even more freaked when they realize that it's not flat!

10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Sure - I don't have a problem with you using my pictures ;)

I didn't make it quite as strong as I could have - it's mounted to an unfolded cereal box, so it'll flex a bit. I've been thinking about cutting up a piece of corrugated cardboard to mount the whole thing to and hang it up somewhere. Gotta run that by the wife for a location ;)