Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nekayah, May 20, 2007.

1. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

I'm not an aircraft builder, and not even very much interested (sorry), but in general I can follow plans and persuade paper to do what it needs to. My brother flew an A26 near the end of WWII. I don't know which of the variants, only that it flew at telephone-wire height. Things aren't too great for him right now, and I was thinking a finished paper model might rouse some good memories. His 83d (if he makes it) is in January. I'd be looking for something authentic enough to impress him, maybe moderate to easy for me to put together. I'm slow (no spring chicken myself) but accurate. Free would be nice, but it certainly doesn't have to be. Suggestions? Thanks, friends!
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I believe that Fly Models offered an A-20 Havoc , but I don't know of any models of an Invader. Try putting your post in the 'dream kits and wish list' forum. One of the designers may take this on.
  3. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hey, Nekayah,

I know how good it will make you feel if you are successful.

If all else fails, try plastic. Check squadron.com.

4. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

I've been doing a little research, and I'm finding it an interesting plane. I think it may have been an A-26A, and as the war ended before he was deployed, my sense that it was a 2-man instead of a 3-man plane could come from his being in training exercises without a gunner/bombardier. I note that at some point the canopy design was changed, and maybe I know why. In flight one day his canopy took off on its own. He was strapped in, but his navigator (as I remember) wasn't. He was able to grab his mate and land safely (maybe because they were flying low), but it was a hairy story.

Good suggestions, both. I don't much like the texture, etc., of plastic, but I don't know that he would care. He would appreciate the craftmanship of paper, however. It _would_ feel good to bring this off. More ideas? Thanks.
  5. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Starting from scratch . . .

I've checked the sites I thought might have a design for a paper model, but no luck. Too bad -- it's a beautiful plane, but apparently not a lot of A-26s were built in the first place.

There are a lot of pictures on the internet, however, and apparently fairly good basic plan drawings, so that's a plus. I've found only one plastic model (by MPC -- no idea of their reputation for quality), which I have ordered, thinking that I might be able to use it and the pics and drawings to develop the shapes to create a paper model, but I'm apprehensive. I made up a few balsa-tissue-rubber band models as a kid, but have no experience with serious non-flying paper models. Wing structures that get the shape right and don't collapse as they sit on a shelf . . . landing gear . . . . even wheels . . .

Probably I should look for a few fairly (but not too) simple planes to build for practice. I realize I'm asking you guys to look way back to when you started and that's not easy, but I'd welcome suggestions on where to start: are there some models you would particularly recommend for someone needing to learn the basics of paper airplane structure? (My paper modelling experience is mainly in automata and animals, so I think I stand a reasonable chance of success with this, but it's more than I had in mind when I thought I'd be able to find a pre-existing kit.)
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Fiddlers Green is a good start, and they have a few freebies. Also, Paper Models International sell their own brand of 1/33 scale WWII planes that are great for beginners due to their size and relative simplicity. Following those, the models offered on DeWayne Barnett's site (particularly those by Marek)are a good step up.
  7. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

You might expand your search to include Douglas B-26 Invader. After the Martin B-26 Marauders were retired, the US Air Force changed the designation of the Douglas A-26 to B-26. The Douglas B-26 Invaders were used in the Korean Conflict, and at the Bay of Pigs, and in Viet Nam.
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

9. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

10. 46rob

46rob Member

I'm in the process of designing one (the Navy JD-1 version of the A-26C) right now. It's slow going, though, as I am also in the middle of a restoration of the real aircraft for the National Museum of Naval Avaition. Ther are only two of us working on the plane--so you can imagine the amount of work we're looking at. I put in a few hours per week on the model currently-- I'll have more time for it once I finish my Brewster Buccanneer. which is almost to the end. Only some fine tuning of the isntruction sheet and a rearrangement of the parts is left. Ought to take a few months to complete the 'Jigdog".

The canopy was changed early in the production, because the pilot had very limited visisbilty to the side over the big nacelles. My version will be in 1/48 scale, and will be able to utilize the after marklet vacuformed canopy and gunners windows designed for the Monogram kit.
  11. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Good news! Thanks, Rob. It's such a good-looking plane I was really surprised that it seemed that no one had done a model. I understand it can't be quick. I'm patient, but time is an element for me because I want to do it for my brother who, in the nature of things, may not be around much longer. I have thought about the wooden model that is available -- but this is more about emotion than just the object itself, and family culture puts a higher value on what you make than on what you buy.

So, in spite of saying at the beginning that I wasn't much interested in aircraft modelling, the research is getting me interested and I will persist in trying to see what I can achieve while I wait for your model, Rob. You will probably get there before I do, even though I am retired and can give it more time. I have a lot to learn, and doing a quasi-professional job may well be beyond my capacities. I've found a reprint of the pilot's manual on Lulu, an on-demand publisher, and am thinking about it, not so much necessarily as helpful to me as something that my brother might like.

Yes, Nobi: that's the plane. I know it was flown in Indonesia, probably in the mid-fifties, but I haven't paid attention to why it was there at that time.
    I suppose it is possible there might be one or two still there. And Rob, thanks for the info about the canopy. Those _are_ big nacelles.
  12. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

The plastic kit for the A-26 B/C Invader (MPC Profile Series 1/72 scale "Licensed by Airfix") arrived on Saturday (Thanks, Blueeyedbear, for suggesting that I check what might be available in plastic). It seems to be pretty good quality but the scale is too small for me to use for direct inspiration for a paper model at my skill level. That's OK: I can get useful ideas about design and construction from it. rmks2000's advice about some free/inexpensive paper models to construct to learn about basic aircraft model design is also proving helpful.

At this point I'm thinking that maybe a next step would be to use what I've got (drawings, photos, the plastic model, other paper models) to help me do a quick-and-dirty solid model (balsa carving? foam carving? modelling clay? something like modelling clay but lighter weight?) to help me (a) visualize the plane better in 3d and (b) get shapes to use in figuring how to cut and form paper. There's no point in my trying to do a scale model (inadequate information at this point and lack of time for much more research), but I do want to get proportions close enough for the plane to be recognizable, and I think I've got enough information to achieve that.

So . . . is this a good way to go? Advice on materials to use for the quick-and-dirty solid model [none of the materials I've mentioned seem especially good for the job, and I'll bet there may be new materials which might be better but haven't discovered)? I have some experience with mold-making, but I need something solid first. Thanks for help with materials, methods, anything. [Sometimes this seems like a monologue, but when folks have come through with advice it has helped me move ahead significantly.]
  13. 46rob

46rob Member

Wll give you some insight into creating a solid scale model. I recomend you stick with balsa or basswood as your medium...as they are easy to work, readily available, and it's easy to repair mistakes.
  14. Alcides

Alcides Member

Oh, This nice this plane was in my list of "whished models".

I can not put it off from my long list "to be design". I've yet to finish my first design. :roll:

Looking forward for your model Rob.
  15. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Thanks again 46Rob. The manual is very helpful, and is a blast from the past. I had a school friend who had to make those models in shop, and try, try, try as he might, he never could make one that passed muster to be used as intended. I've been ill, so beyond making more drawings, I've made no progress since my last entry. But I'm sure you are right about wood for the solid model. I"m afraid it may be more "dirty" than quick, however. Bass, I think, rather than balsa.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy guys,

I am assuming that no cardmodel of this plane was ever found. Well, I did a little research andcame up with this site with a 3d model of the A-26A /B-26A.
    You have to join the site to download the model and I am not even sure that metasequio will open it. However, joining the site is free and maybe you could even speak to the designer of the 3d model and get permission to create a paper model based on his work.
    Anyway, it was just a thought. If you want to look at the 3d model site I am speaking of, check it out here:

I hope this helps,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA
  17. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

This seems promising, Greg. 46Rob is working on a paper model, but none exists yet, and I'm in a bit of a hurry because of the age of my brother (83 in Jan) who was flying A-26s at the end of WWII. Someone found a wooden model, but family tradition involves self-made gifts, which is why I've started to do a model of my own from scratch. I'd like to do a good job, but if the model looks like the first try (which it probably will be) it will at least give him a laugh. I've been to the site and have joined. There's a lot there about the A/B26, but I don't yet know how to navigate the site. Clearly it could save me a lot of time if I had a good solid model to work from, and certainly I would ask before I used it directly as a foundation for my work. This is a one-off project -- I don't want to sell or distribute any aspect of this work, just make a model for my brother. Thanks for taking time to do the research and for passing the info on to me.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Nekayah,

You are welcome. At one time.....not too long ago, I was very quick with a helpful link to sites of various types that related to cardmodels. However, having changed jobs within the past yr and having changed my working hours drastically (alot more of them), I havent had the time to devote to searching out things on the net.
    But, I do try to help anytime I can. So, just know that I am lurking in the background, always looking for chances to help when I can.

have a good day,

19. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

20. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Geedubbya, it took me a while to figure out how to navigate the sim-outhouse site. It was an interesting experience, and I'm not certain that I ever got it right. I think the idea of the site is to enable people to simulate the operation of the various planes, i.e., to "fly" them from their Windows computers, and the standard of simulation seems high from what I could make of it. I'm a Mac user and couldn't get very far in exploring the software. There are some good photos and referrals to sites with more. So I'm still looking and still trying to create a solid model to help me with visualization. Found an old balsa-rubberband kit on ebay but had too many doubts to think it a good way to go. Thanks again for the referral to sim-outhouse: though it didn't move me very far ahead on my project, it was reaally interesting to get a little insight into a different passion.

murphyaa: thanks for the referral to the tutorials. I've learned a lot from the generosity of folk who have taken the time and trouble to give us these and other tutorials.

Probably I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm not ready to give up.