84 Lumber

BluePoint

Jul 3, 2002
Eastern PA
Visit site
I model the mid-60's in East-Central Pennsylvania. My layour has years to go, but I have a perfect spot for a lumber yard, complete with spur.

My preference is to model the 84 Lumber Company, which was one of the original big-box home improvement companies. My recollection is that the buildings were a dusy blue color, and fairly large.

I've been to their website, but they only address contemporary business. Had one fellow send me a photo of one from his home town, but it was only of the rear of the building, w/spur.

Anyone out there have info, photos, clues to were I might find something to help me model one of these facilities. By the way, if anyone is interested, 84 (numerically) is the name of the central PA town where 84 Lumber started.

Thanks for any help!
:confused:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi BluePoint!
Welcome to The Gauge! :)
I live near an 84 Lumber facility, & have been familiar with them for some time. (sorry I don't have any photos)
The place I'm thinking of has pretty much looked the same as far back as I can remember...large corrugated warehouse type structure (blue, just like you said), with open sheds on a concrete pad along a rail spur.
If you're interested in a kit that would fit the bill, I'd recommend the Walthers lumber yard...I think it's called Mills Brothers' Lumber(?) It has some corrugated structures, & an open shed...
If you're into a scratchbuilding project, I remember a lot of the lumber yards back in the 60's had a lot of clapboard style buildings. This could also be a neat kitbash...find some structure kits that might be altered to fit your needs.
Good luck...I hope I've been of some help.

p.s. Don't forget that big round "84" sign! :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Pat and welcome to the gauge. Sorry I can't help on this one, don't live in the USA, must be someone in here who can help with photo's.

Shamus

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I had no idea they were that widespread. We had an 84 Lumber (always wondered where the name came from) here in San Dimas, California, but they closed down about ten years ago. As I recall it was a steel structure, sort of like a large equipment shed like farmers use. I'm not sure of my memories of it, but I'd guess it was blue and grey, and with an open shed beside it, stacked with lumber.

My biggest memory of doing business with them was when I bought a 24 foot, 4x16 beam from them, and hauled it home in my old Suburban --- with a whole lot of it hanging out the rear end. Highly illegal, but I eluded capture.

Bill S

Hi Pat,

We have an 84 Lumber south of us about 5 miles although I don't think it'll be there too much longer. They just build a new Home Depot right beside it and a Menard's just around the corner. If I can I'll try and get some photos in the next week or two and Email them to you.

Walt
:rolleyes: