60 years old newbie, 1/32 SCX or Scalextric ?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Biased turkey, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

My name is Jacques and I'm from Montreal, Canada.
    I usually post in the model railroad subforum.
    I turned 60 today and would like to materialize some kind of childhood dream.
    I remember , while living in Belgium in the 60's , racing with some friend on his Scalextric 1/32 slot track.
    I remember that he had some Junior Formula, Cooper Mini 1300 , and the most amazing: motorcycles with side-cars lol.
    S I'm ( finally :) ) ready to take the plunge and purchase some slot-racing set.
    My spouse and I live in an apartment so installing a whole basement track is out of question.
    Today I checked some HO scale set from AFX-Aurora at my local hobby store , but it looks so toyish.
    So I made up my mind and would rather have a small 1/32 track than a bigger HO scale track.
    So here are my questions:
    1) Is it possible to have a ( non permanent ) 1/32 scale small track in an apartment ?
    2) It looks like the only decently priced sets available here in Canada ( forget about the nice Italian imports ) are from Scalextric and SCX.
    Which one would you buy ?
    Should I go for a digital set ? ( we have the same dilemma in N scale model railroading )
    I'm not interested in Nascar , I prefer the Sport-Prototype stuff ( Porsche 962C was Imh the best car ever built ) or Rally .
    Would a rally set with tighter curves ( I suppose ) fit better in an apartment ?

3) Any "must" web link I should check ?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
    From a 60 years old guy with a child spirit.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I got an SCX last year (non digital) from target. My kids LOVE it. I must admit, I enjoy it quite a lot too - I got it because of playing with my grandpas slot cars in the basement when I was a kid. I have the tuners one. tight curves. I also bought some nascar cars - they CANNOT handle the tight turns and they are put away permanently in the closet.

I have been trying to buy more stuff on ebay but it goes FAST and EXPENSIVE - pretty much what they go for in the store. No good deals unless they are missing something...

But anyways, I ramble, to make it short, I love SCX :) just make sure to get the track designed for how you want to race....

tuner for shorter quick curves, nascar for ovals that are banked - never used the f1 stuff.
  3. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thank you Chris for taking some of your valuable time to reply.
    I have investigated HO scale too . The cars looks toyish ( not in the way they look because I'm used to Nscale 1/160 model railroad ) but by the way they reacts on the track ( acceleration and braking too fast ).
    I surfed some slotcar website this weekend and found some ingenious track plans such as a multilevel rally track:

If I go the 1/32 way, can I intermix Scalextric and SCX cars and tracks.

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry, I dont really know - I only dabble inthe slotcar stuff.... :(
  5. Cool Games

Cool Games New Zealot 2007

I found this good site for beginners !!

Check this site for a lot of your question:

I was born 1952. Do the math.

I treat slot cars like trains and would rather drive alone than race.
    So detail is important with handling next. Magnets tend to add or detract from the realism. Building kits then motorizing is my favorite except there are only a few 1/32 kits.

I prefer Scalextric track for home but also have larger 1/24 Carrera which is too big in general for small spaces.

I have a 6 foot by 20 foot 4 lane Catalunya Sport Scalextric which I can add the Digital expansion to two lanes or run 4 lane with RMS.

It is a stock plan 13:1s from http://www.scalextric-usa.com/index.php?CURRENT_PAGE_ID=125

Outer two lanes also work with DS-200 timing.:car1:

For beginners get a starter set with a lap counter. Non-digital is mechanical and
    Digital sets have a special timer for only Digital cars.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.